Page 1 of 10
Posted on April 18 at 8:49 a.m.
Maybe the people paying to see him play in SB deserve better, eh?
On Bryan Ferry Sucks at Emailing
Posted on April 7 at 1:26 p.m.
C'mon Ken--it's IV. My family's cars were routinely walked over by drunk students on an avg Friday in 1995, and stabbings have been a sad reality all over Santa Barbara, including at the iconic dolphin statue. If you want to talk about the ongoing social ills of IV, cool, but those have no direct correlation to this event.
On Deltopia Party Devolves Into Isla Vista Riot
Posted on April 7 at 1:16 p.m.
To those bitching about cost to the county: Don't act like students don't provide a significant tax base for the county.
To those bitching about the havoc: Don't act like you've been to I.V., like, EVER. It doesn't affect you.
To those bitching about out-of-towners: You clearly don't understand the nature of I.V.
To those bitching about property damage: Have you seen the rents and deposits that these students pay??
To those bitching about disrespect for authority: Authority earns their own disrespect.
I grew up in Isla Vista. Lived there through all the Halloweens and the wet blankets authorities have tried to throw over the whatever the current annual I.V. party happens to be. Next time, cast your dragnet around the town and catch the DUI's spilling out, but leave the rest alone and, amazingly, the citation statistics will drop, alcohol poisoning cases will remain unchanged, and once in a while some idiot will fall off the bluffs. It happens. Get over it.
Posted on March 19 at 10:45 a.m.
So terribly sad for a young man to go that way and at such a young age. The young lady must have been terrified and in unbearable pain or shock. Anyone who knows the trail has to be befuddled by the story, but unless it's alcohol they won't find anything in the tox report. Most psychedelics don't show up.
On Hiker Dies on Cold Spring Trail
Posted on July 19 at 9:12 a.m.
Time to relive some glory days!
On Carp & Goleta Skate Park Benefit w/The Boxheads, Mongo, Boobie Tuesday, Agent Orange
Posted on July 19 at 9:07 a.m.
This is one of those things of which I live in fear of. A mother who worked with my wife ran in to quickly look over a few spreadsheets when she fell asleep at her desk, leaving all three of her children stuck in the car where they perished. I won't even run back into my house for sunglasses (or whatever) without leaving the doors open--just in case I slip and become immobilized. My dad thinks I'm nuts for that. Being a disorganized and forgetful father or three, I've made a habit of leaving my windows open a few inches just on the off chance I may have forgotten someone. Thankfully not yet! And don't forget about those dogs, either. Good article---may save a life.
On Kids Left in Cars
Posted on July 19 at 8:53 a.m.
It's amazing how many readers have firsthand knowledge about Genis and who/what he is and what/when it should happen to him. Oh wait....you never met him, never saw him argue a case, you read a few articles here and made a judgement call. Yeeeeeaaaahh, your opinion is worth a steaming pile.
On Genis the Menace?
Posted on June 7 at 12:30 a.m.
An Assembly Bill to ban or limit the sales of whipped cream chargers are as useless as a ban on raw milk. More legislation for a non-problem. Keep working on bathsalts and that weird fake marijuana spray that's giving kids dementia if you must leap into the drug war. There's already strict limits on medical grade N2O sold in quantity, and N2O sold for racing purposes has chemicals like sulfur added to make it impossible to abuse. It would take something like 1000 whip cream chargers to equal a small medical grade tank. It's not meth, people.
On Goleta Man Dies From Laughing Gas Overdose
Posted on June 7 at 12:21 a.m.
OK, a couple of reality checks here. First of all, no one is going to jail for selling anyone the type of N2O he was using. They are readily available chargers for whipped cream dispensers and can be purchased online or at many restaurant supply stores; probably grocery stores as well.
As for the possiblity of overdose death by N2O--it is EXTREMELY difficult. The typical manner of ingestion is by using a device to release the gas from the cartridge into a balloon and hyperventilate into it until you reach a form of anesthesia, or so I'm told. When the user reaches a level of anethetiziation in which they lose consciousness, they go back to breathing normally unless they have done something abnormal, such as placing an unregulated flow directly over the nose and mouth, enclosing themself in a very small, airtight compartment with a large amount of unregulated gas flowing into the area (obviously rarely, if ever, happens), or places a bag over the head to intensify the effect and accidentally asphyxiates, which IS NOT the same as perishing from an overdose. Nitrous oxide "overdoses" are almost unrecorded since the 2 in 2008, but even deaths attributed to NO2 OD are almost always, in fact, deaths associated with unsafe behavior while under the influence. There is a night and day difference between the two.
Ken, you usually put google where your mouth is...if you have references I missed please post a link. I honestly would like to know.
This article appears to have been written early on when details are sketchy, and I doubt the family would appreciate my uninformed speculation on what exactly happened in this traged, so I'll leave it at that.
Posted on May 20 at 4:22 p.m.
Likely Held Marijuana; No Drugs Seized or Suspects Arrested
Best line of the story. Chalk one up for the good guys, indeed.
On Panga Found on Arroyo Quemada Beach
Santa Barbara Fair and Expo celebrates “25 Years of Magic”, ... Read More
Previous Month | Next Month