Chili Lime Black Bean Burgers
If I didn't tell you these were made with black beans in the title, I could have fooled you, right? They look just like meat! They are quite filling and satisfying too!
- ⅔ cup dried black beans, (or substitute one 15 ounce can of black beans). If using canned, you will not use the below onion
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 whole wheat hamburger bun
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, loosely packed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbl lime zest (about 2 limes small limes)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbls grape seed oil
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- For serving: red onion slices, lettuce leaves, pickle spears, mayonnaise and/or your favorite burger toppings
If you are using dried beans, cover them with water and soak overnight. The next morning, strain and rinse beans. Place them in a saucepan and cover them with fresh water, add in 1 onion, chopped. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 hour until tender. Strain and let cool. If using canned, strain and rinse the beans.
In the bowl of a food processor with a blade attachment, grind the hamburger bun until finely ground into bread crumbs. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
In the same food processor bowl, add in the garlic cloves and cilantro. Pulse a few times until minced. Add in the beans and puree until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the chili powder, lime zest, and bread crumbs. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. (Taste mixture to make sure seasonings are to your preference before adding in the egg). Add in the egg and mix until incorporated. Divide mixture into 4 equal pieces and shape into round patties.
In a grill pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Grill the patties on one side, for about 3-4 minutes until brown. Flip over and add cheese. Cook for about another 3-4 minutes, until cheese has melted.
Serve patties on the hamburger buns with you favorite burger toppings.