Do you like Montecito’s left-hand freeway exits?

I think they are charming. 28% 105 votes
I hate them. 38% 140 votes
I am indifferent to them. 33% 123 votes
368 total votes

Comments

If one cannot negotiate a left lane exit, one should critically examine whether or not they deserve the privilege of piloting an automobile, or consider becoming more familiar with the intricacies of the town. There's always the next exit.

spacey (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 1:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I think they are fine for me. However, there are many nitwit drivers that enter these things at 45-50. People need to realize that the traffic in that lane will likely be travelling at 70+.

So the question is "do we improve the quality of the drivers using the road?" or "do we dumb down and standardize the roads to the low level of some of the people that drive our streets?" CalTrans definitely thinks the latter is in order.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 2:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"It's not my fault Officer that I was traveling 75 miles an hour on a 55 mile an hour freeway and sailed my car over the intersection from the left side off ramp....", "It's the fault of the Government for not making the off-ramp the length of an International Airport Runway, cause, 'I can't Drive Fifty-Five!' ".
Was the excuse of the next 100 thousand drivers to be in an traffic accident trying to exit the freeway from the number 2 lane.

dou4now (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 5:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Do we have any 55 MPH freeways anymore?

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 6:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It is your fault for not knowing the speed limit though.

Num1UofAn (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 7:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

And will merging drivers on the inside also expect the full-speed, through-way drivers to yield their legal right of way arbitrarily like is expected by some merging into the outside freeway lanes?

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 12:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

these ramps are basically just used by locals in SB, which is why they really are not a problem. Caltrans own data shows that the accident rate on the left lane ramps is less than the SB right lane ramps.

evolution (anonymous profile)
February 21, 2013 at 7:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Forget "charming"

(how stupid that was that you asked that!!)

the left exits preserve what "Montecito" is!

And anyone who understands "Montecito" understands that! these people at CalTrans are people who are in "cubicles looking at maps"!

they do not understand the community; nor do they care!!!

Bravo to the Montecito Association!~

Penelope

penelopeb (anonymous profile)
February 22, 2013 at 12:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

That's an Idiotic framing of the question. You should be ashamed of yourselves. "Charming" has nothing to do with it.

The question is whether it makes more sense to retain a left-lane exit for local beach traffic if the alternative costs much more and takes twice as long to execute.

Answer: yes.

chubbco (anonymous profile)
February 22, 2013 at 12:59 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'll agree that the left hand exits are unique to Montecito (tho other towns and cities DO have them).
But to say they "preserve what Montecito is" is a bit superficial. I really don't think they are integral to Cito's existence, spirit, character ect. They are freeway on/offramps. Nothing more, nothing less.
What's more damaging is when Cito's small, local businesses go down.

February 22, 2013 at 12:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The only way that the left hand ramps "preserve what Montecito is" is by the fact that Montecito residents are fighting the change. But, I guess if you want your community legacy to be that you use exorbitant amounts of money to fight any and every change to your local area regardless of cost, safety, or logic then hey...I wish I were your lawyer.

Num1UofAn (anonymous profile)
February 22, 2013 at 11:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

False assumption ,Num. 1. Closing ramps will force feed more traffic onto already congested surface streets.Think arterial sclerosis.

geeber (anonymous profile)
February 23, 2013 at 5:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

So you're saying geeber the reason they have left lane on/off ramps instead of the normal right lane is to keep people out of Montecito, period?
Don't the signs alerting people that if they wish to exit they'd better get into the left lane defeat that purpose?

February 23, 2013 at 11:35 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I have no opinion re left or right - hand off ramps. I have a very strong opinion regarding installing signs informing drivers of left-hand exits far enough in advance of exits to allow safe lane changes by drivers using left-hand as well as right-hand exits, and I don't think the Coast Village Road exit signs qualify.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
March 15, 2013 at 9:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Jagwar Ma