Should afterschool religious clubs for kids be allowed to convene on public school campuses?

Yes, the First Amendment protects freedom of religion. 30% 92 votes
No, not if their mission is to prostelytize other people's children. 56% 172 votes
OK, but they need to be watched to ensure that the line between church and state is not violated. 12% 39 votes
303 total votes

Comments

I voted "yes". If we ban everyone from meeting, then there will be no dialogue between groups. If Christians, Muslims, Atheists, and anyone else who wants to meet afterschool meet--and occasionally interact--we are more likely to see understanding between people.

There is no violation of the Constitution, and this does not interfere with school studies. Open dialogue promotes understanding; censorship promotes fear and bigotry.

February 16, 2012 at 3:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Why not? They have as much right as the GLBT group should or MeCha.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
February 16, 2012 at 4:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm the minority, "OK, but they need to be watched to ensure that the line between church and state is not violated."
Only because I've heard some horror stories about a specific church in this area practically taking over a school. I belonged to a multi-denominational Christian student group in Jr. HS that met at lunch. And the teacher who led it was very very ethical. If you were in one of his classes you'd never have known he was the faculty guide. Students learned of it thru a flyer.

February 17, 2012 at 6:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

@ Ken- It really is too bad that we don't have more people like that instead of those that are trying to further their agendas and fill their pockets.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
February 18, 2012 at 12:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Only because I've heard some horror stories about a specific church in this area practically taking over a school."

Which one was that? If you don't want to post it, e-mail me privately.

February 19, 2012 at 3:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't recall- it maybe the one off the APS roundabout. The school I was referring to in my comment was one which the INDY had published an article on, and several letters followed.

Sorry for not being be more clear in my writing.

February 19, 2012 at 9:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

How about meeting in the cafeteria, so as not to confuse the weakest-minded among 'em.

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2012 at 7:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Why did the Indy staff pose an unbalanced question?

On the "NO" vote, they wrote "No, not if their mission is to proselytize other people's children"

But for the "YES vote, they did not write, "Yes, if they do not proselytize other people's children".

Huh? Why is is framed so lopsidedly? Oh, wait, I remember, the Indy is a left wing biased paper filled with left wing biased employees and freelancers who are biased left wing, which generally is associated with not liking organized near anything publicly funded. Got it. I wonder what the poll results would have been if the YES and NO questions were framed in an equivalently countered way. Alas we'll never know.

willy88 (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2012 at 1:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The lunch bell rang before other choices could be added?

February 28, 2012 at 5:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Vaud and the Villains