Last Botanic Garden poll ever, so:

Let 'em build! 34% 93 votes
Scale 'em back then approve! 28% 77 votes
Stop 'em at all costs! 37% 103 votes
273 total votes

Comments

I love the Botanic Garden! I grew up at the end of Mission Canyon Rd.(we moved there in 1960) and am living there now. I'm not a Luddite: I understand the need for updating the structures and maintaining the grounds; but the stated mission of the "Vital Plan" encourages traffic that far exceeds the capacity of the Garden and the Canyon. For the safety of visitors and residents alike, a different approach is necessary. Instead of trying to concentrate all elements of the "Plan" in the same location, archives, fund-raising events, many classes and even some offices could and should be located off-campus. This is not a radical solution and is easily understood by anyone who knows the limitations of the Garden's location.

rebeccawave (anonymous profile)
May 2, 2010 at 8:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I agree with rebeccawave that the plans should at be scaled back. The Garden was not intended to be a locale for gatherings such as are held at the Child's Estate or outdoors at the Museum of Natural History. Any gathering of a size really dispels the serenity of the Botanic Garden. It is a magical place, and should be handled with such care. Move the archives and educational offerings off-site for so many reasons. By the way my first introduction to the Garden was as a five-year old - I'm a native of SB - viewing it with my parents and great-grand parents.

Grandma (anonymous profile)
May 3, 2010 at 8:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)

All Hail the Peoples' Republic of Santa Barbara!

Achilleus (anonymous profile)
May 4, 2010 at 9:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The garden is intended to be a non-profit research institution. The planned renovations are intended to continue that heritage both through developing better research facilities and modes for paying for that research. Any complaints about ruined serenity etc, are little more than a selfish misunderstanding about the purpose and scope of the garden. Let 'em build.

Num1UofAn (anonymous profile)
May 5, 2010 at 11:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Maybe now with enough CA$H I can finally have that wedding reception I always dreamed of at the garden with rock band AC/DC singing "Back In Black!!!" echoing down Mission Canyon to the City. YAAA!!!!

Georgy (anonymous profile)
May 8, 2010 at 11:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Since the board of trustees they restricted the number of trustees, ignored volunteers, among other actions, I have a bad feeling about anything they propose.

["Board of Trustees has reported spending over $1,730,000 on architects, attorneys and public relations firms including paid signature gatherers, phone banks, advertising campaigns and glossy mailers... " amazing!]

sbindyreader (anonymous profile)
May 10, 2010 at 10:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Achilleus? All Hail the Peoples' Republic of Santa Barbara!
What is this?

JohnMcKnight (anonymous profile)
May 12, 2010 at 7:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The Dirty Knobs