Casa del Herrero
1387 E. Valley Rd.,
A little known Santa Barbara cultural treasure, the Casa was designated in 2009 the fourth National Historic Landmark site within the city of Santa Barbara.
The mission of the Casa del Herrero Foundation is to maintain, preserve and restore the house, furnishings, gardens and history of the Steedman/Bass estate for the benefit of the community, visiting public, scholars, educators and students.
History of the Casa del Herrero Foundation
The Steedmans’ daughter Medora, who lived at the estate from 1977 until her death ten years later, was determined that the Casa be preserved as a representation of the arts and excellence in design, and to have it kept as a museum and a place of “worthwhile use.” Pursuant to this wish, her son George Bass assumed responsibility for Casa del Herrero until Casa del Herrero Foundation was formed as a not-for-profit 501 (c) 3 organization in 1993 and endowed by the George and Medora Bass family. That same year, a Conditional Use Permit was obtained from the County of Santa Barbara for operation of the estate. The Foundation manages the Casa in accordance with the County’s guidelines, which limit tour visitors and activities.
Funding is derived from income on the endowment, grants, donations, fundraising events, rental properties, tour admissions, and membership fees.
- - -
Parking on site is strictly limited to 10 vehicles per tour. Mini-vans or mini-coaches are acceptable but large passenger buses are not permitted. Guests are asked to arrive ten minutes prior to tour time. With the exception of Service Dogs, animals are not permitted on the Casa grounds or in parked automobiles. Kindly leave all pets at home as they are strictly prohibited from being left unattended in vehicles during a tour.