WEATHER »

Death Notices

Michelle Galler: 1961 - 2012

Following a life-altering ski accident, Michelle dove into creating extraordinary experiences all over the world for herself and others with disabilities. Read story.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

David S. Bisol: 1951-2012

Every time a visitor walks through the galleries of the Santa Barbara Historical Museum or conducts research in the Gledhill Library, they experience in no small part David Bisol’s handiwork. Read story.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Claudia Madsen 1921- 2007

Claudia Madsen died in her sleep on the morning of Sunday, April 15, two weeks after being diagnosed with cancer. She spent her final weeks surrounded by the love of family and friends. Read story.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Rex Marchbanks 1949-2007

Most Santa Barbarans knew Rex Marchbanks from his presence at the Santa Barbara Bowl. He was the burly guy with the bushy hair who always stood just behind the wooden crowd barriers in the plaza. He would be there in his Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip-flops after a full day of overseeing all of the things that went into putting on a show: getting the buses up the hill and unloaded, hauling the equipment onto the stage, and so on. Read story.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

George Anthony Woerful

George Anthony Woerful passed away on April 7, 2007. Read story.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Curtis A. Busick

Curtis Busick passed away on April 22, 2007 Read story.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

James C. Durham 1934-2007

Family, friends, colleagues, and generations of students mourn the loss and celebrate the legacy of husband, father, teacher, author, golfer, gourmand, musician, and sage James Cicero Durham. Jim was my English teacher when I was in high school and the first mentor to advise me when I became a teacher myself shortly after graduating from college. For me and many others, Jim's voice and presence will live on every time we sit down to write or stand up to teach. Read story.

Originally published 12:00 p.m., February 22, 2007
Updated 11:43 a.m., March 1, 2007

Michael Aaron May, 1981-2006

Michael was born in Santa Barbara to Rod and Crystal May. He grew up and lived most of his life in Santa Barbara, where he became a skilled craftsman in the construction industry. With his gentle, patient, sweet, and thoughtful way, to know Michael was truly to love him. Even with moviestar good looks, he was content to let others take the spotlight while he cheered from the sidelines. Read story.

Originally published 12:00 p.m., February 8, 2007

John Tarasovic 1979-2006

Born in New Jersey, John moved to Quito, Ecuador, with his family when he was six years old. In school, he had many friends and was very close to all of his family, especially his cousins. From a young age, John was very intellectual and had a special interest in music. As a child, he was extremely curious-he would take apart his favorite remote-control cars just to put them back together and find out how they worked. When he was around 13, his parents divorced. He learned to play the guitar when he turned 15 and quickly began to write songs. John loved reading, poetry, and literature. Read story.

Originally published 12:00 p.m., February 8, 2007
event calendar sponsored by: