Friends, students, colleagues, writers, and fellow poets come together on these pages to remember Barry Spacks. A professor at UCSB’s College of Creative Studies and English Department for more than three decades, Barry Spacks was Santa Barbara’s first poet laureate and a onetime “Poetry Matters” columnist for this paper.
Spacks once wrote about wanting a street named after him, and an effort to do just that is underway at spacksstreet.com. In celebration of an informal naming, Sullivan Goss will hold a show of Spacks’s art April 3-June 1.
- My Old Hero by Teddy Macker
- Memories of Barry by Perie Longo
- To Be by Carol DeCanio
- Very Old but Shining by Lois Klein
- Driving Barry Spacks by Peg Quinn
- Obituary: For Barry Spacks by Joseph Gallo
- the most encouraging man by Birgitta Hansson
- Dear Friend by Laure-Anne Bosselaar