David Landecker?

Thursday, October 17, 2013
Comments

I was surprised when I first saw David Landecker was running for City Council; however, I was shocked to see him endorsed by The Santa Barbara Independent.

If you were not around here 22 years ago or have forgotten the incident when he resigned (after much public furor) from the City Council, it was quite a scandal and rightly so. He was caught changing a price tag on an item at a large local hardware store. Not only was it an unbelievably tacky and stupid thing to do — it qualifies as stealing/shoplifting.

You say he has more than redeemed himself. Some may agree with your view; however, he was not a teenager caught pilfering; he was an educated man in a position of public trust.

I for one could not trust nor would I vote for a person with such a lack of integrity and respect for doing the right thing. FYI: I am a left-wing liberal who just doesn’t like dishonesty.

Comments

I don't know Landecker or have any stake in his campaign. I am , however , fed up with the ridiculous rehashing of a minor offense that occurred some twenty years ago. Not to exonerate Landecker , but the store where the incident happened was NOTORIOUS for excessive overcharging. That in itself should have been a crime.
Landecker has gone on to serve the community very well with his neighborhood clinic work an his stint at the EDC. I have cast my vote for Landecker with nary a thought about a silly incident that should be irrelevant today.

geeber (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 4:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Obviously Ada you must feel very well qualified to throw that first damaging stone.

You have never made a foolish mistake?

You have never felt forgiveness is one of the greatest virtues humanly possible?

I would guess not.

I truly hope that you have a great life Ada without ever having to face such things for yourself or your loved ones.

RobEgenolf (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 8:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I may be a pothead, but my mother taught me not to steal. We should know the difference between right and wrong. That goes double for a politician. I agree with Ada.

BongHit (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 11:13 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Geeber et al., just because a store seems to have high prices does not mean that stealing or cheating that store is acceptable, as your comment is suggesting.

And I am not so sure that forgiveness is a relevant issue for selecting a candidate for elected office. It is not about the personal redemption of the candidate, but instead what is best for the whole community and why a candidate really is running for the public good instead of his own personal redemption.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 11:16 a.m. (Suggest removal)

22 years ago? Is there not anyone else who's come along since then that we can vote for instead? Really? Guess it's the same ol' same ol'. If they ain't stealing from you, they stealing from somebody else.

spacey (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 2:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Thanks JohnAdams . That's exactly my point . I voted for Landecker because of his work with community clinics and with the EDC. Two things of paramount importance in Santa Barbara - our health and environmental protection. Hey , if those are not important matters to you , then by all means vote for Hotchkiss.

geeber (anonymous profile)
October 17, 2013 at 5:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Spacey's comment brings to mind the fact that Jerry Brown was reelected some three decades after he left office.

As for Landecker, I think he's probably not a threat to our safety.

October 17, 2013 at 6:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Forget about his shoplifting.

The bigger problem is that he is ready to take lots more money, forcibly by taxation, from people that produce and make good decisions (consciously) and give it to able-bodied people who chronically create chaos and make (consciously) bad decisions in their lives.

So of COURSE the Indy would support someone like that.

willy88 (anonymous profile)
October 18, 2013 at 12:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

David Landecker is the Anthony Weiner of Santa Barbara, not because of sexting but because he is irredeemably blinded by arrogance and his own self-importance.

Landecker not only stole from a local business but did so when he was serving on the Council, having been entrusted with the City government by the voters!

A year after he resigned in disgrace he worked his City Hall contacts to acquire - at almost no cost - the Kentia Palm Preserve, a City park next to his house. In 2006 he went back to the Council and got a waiver from the covenants he had agreed to prohibiting development on the land, built an extension to his house and raised the value of his property. Look it up; it's all public record.

I was his neighbor for nine years. In 2009 he trespassed into my yard and chain-sawed down five Kentia palms. He said they blocked the view from his hot tub. Can you imagine what kind of person would think that was OK?

Landecker will try to tell you that he has changed, but a hyena, as they say, cannot change its spots.

RyanOSorress (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 9:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Regina Carter