Three Arrested For Homeless Man’s Murder

Richard Boden Was Assaulted at Granny’s Field in September

Monday, November 11, 2013
Comments

The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department arrested three men on Sunday on charges of murder and conspiracy for a September assault of a homeless man who never regained consciousness from his injuries. Roman Romero, 18, Jonathan Andrade, 20, and Carlos Medina, 44 — all area residents who often went to Granny’s Field behind the Turnpike Shopping Center, where the alleged assault took place — were booked into Santa Barbara County Jail, each at $1 million bail.

Richard Alden Boden, 51, was found unconscious in the field on September 16. Boden, who was also known to frequent the site, was taken to the hospital but never regained consciousness after weeks of treatment. He died last month after his family asked that he be removed from life support. According to the Sheriff’s Office, Boden’s autopsy showed that he died as a result of complications from his injuries.

Comments

Somebody had to earn their gang card, here you go boys, membership paid in full w/ an innocent person's life. You guys must feel really tough about now huh?

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
November 11, 2013 at 5:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Where in this article are gangs mentioned?

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
November 11, 2013 at 7:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

44 seems a bit old for joining a gang doesn't it? However some people assume that if a crime is committed by one with a Spanish surname, they must be gang members.

November 11, 2013 at 7:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Gang members or not....lets just call them scum of the earth. That works for me.

zuma7 (anonymous profile)
November 11, 2013 at 8:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Some people do stay in gangs that long believe it or not, and to me, this looks like an older member showing some younger guys the tricks of the trade so to speak. The attack in itself is a gang, 3 on 1 is not an even fight. The man was murdered in a field know for gang and homeless violence.

cobybryant (anonymous profile)
November 11, 2013 at 9:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Okay, lets just ass-u-me.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
November 12, 2013 at 8:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

AZ2SB, let's just SAFELY & ACCURATELY assume. There, fixed that for you, you're welcome.

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
November 12, 2013 at 10:19 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Blah I am a relative of Jonathan and he is not an anchor baby. He isn't in a gang either. I don't have the facts of the case so I don't know if he did anything. I suppose I will have to wait for the evidence to be presented. You can continue spouting incorrect assumptions as facts if that is what makes you feel better about yourself.

MSSB (anonymous profile)
November 12, 2013 at 12:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Also Boden was a registered sex offender and transient to the area. Perhaps he tried something and the reaction from these boys was more than he bargained for. I find it hard to believe Boden was spontaneously attacked when his past shows he is a predator. Best to reserve final judgement until all the information is presented.

MSSB (anonymous profile)
November 12, 2013 at 12:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

@ Blah- This commercial reminded me of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBK4E...

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
November 12, 2013 at 3:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ah, MSSB, so because the murder victim was allegedly a "sex offender" (which, by the way, is a lifelong stigma can result from getting caught taking a leak in the bushes), and (GASP!) homeless...well...what the heck...he probably needed killin'?

Is that what you're saying here? Because that sure is what it sounded like to me.

Holly (anonymous profile)
November 13, 2013 at 5:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

My guess is that the kids wanted to drink but they could not buy beer because they are not old enough. Carlos wanted to drink but did not have any money. So the kids offered to buy Carlos some beer if he would buy some for them as well. Then, they decided the best place to drink would be at Granny's field, since it is right above the CVS. After five or six beers and some shots, they noticed the homeless dude in the field and decided to get their "kicks" by beating him up. Of course, they probably weren't not anticipating the murder charges.

Schifter (anonymous profile)
November 13, 2013 at 5:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Holly I am not certain where you read that I condone the behavior or that I believed anyone would deserve what happened. I merely stated there are extenuating circumstances that were left out of the article. By the way NOONE has ever been charged with Lewd and Lacivious acts on a child under the age of 14 for peeing in a bush but nice try. And (GASP) homeless? I do not feel bad because someone is homeless when they have obviously made choices in their life to prey upon a child. I also do not think any human should be beat to the point he was either. If these boys did what they are being accused of and it was not self defense they deserve what they get. I have not seen evidence to prove that or disprove it so I will have to wait and see. I refuse to believe they are guilty just because the Sherriff's Department says so.

MSSB (anonymous profile)
November 13, 2013 at 10:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

3 gang types & a homeless sex offender walk into a field &... Has the makings of a great joke, but it ain't a joke & neither was the result.
Me thinks Schifter nailed it on the head, just like their blows landed on the homeless dude's.

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
November 14, 2013 at 12:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Regina Carter