Journey Not Over

Thursday, June 13, 2013
Comments

Jesse Rugge’s parole hearing used to be every two years but, thanks to Marsy’s Law, it is now every three. The hearing is set for July 2, 2013. Our family is doing well, but I am becoming angry. Yes, 13 years ago August 9, and I am feeling the toll of this part of my journey. [Rugge is one of a group of men convicted of kidnapping and murdering the writer’s 15-year-old son, Nicholas Markowitz.]

Time keeps disappearing and I fear people will forget my Nick. I am his voice, and hope our justice system keeps Jesse Rugge locked up for life. He was key in leading Nick to his execution, giving him a false sense of security. Justice was served, and they should not undo it. Unless, of course, they can bring Nick back?

Comments

Susan, please, let's leave it to the justice system (that you claim to believe in so much) and let's try not to influence it in any way.  I feel your pain as I was one of many mothers to lose a child to violence. My son's remains were never found and the killer got away with murder due to loop hole in our justice system.  I have learned to live past this horror and take every moment as it happens and embrace it.  With all due respect to you and your family, please move on and let the kids (as they were kids when it all happened) get a second chance. Your stepson, Ben, did get one. All of them were so young at that time and it was their first brush with law. Jesse Rugge himself wasn't aware of what is going to happen. The person who took your son's precious life is on death row, where he should be. Also, this article says that Jesse Rugge was convicted of murder, when in fact, he was acquired of murder. Jesse Rugge as well as Jesse James Hollywood, both, deserve a second chance and I don't believe they played part in your son's murder. I see them victims as well, as innocent bystanders. They obviously didn't want Nick to die, but Ryan Hoyt took it upon himself to change the path. And justice was served in his case. Pressley, the gravedigger, got the most lesser sentence, and you lobbied for his early release, why? Why, in your opinion, you showed favoritism to him over the others? Rugge and Hollywood deserve second chance, as your stepson Ben got. In many minds Ben is the root of this horrible ordeal.
So please let Jesse Rugge get one too.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
June 22, 2013 at 9:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Aclarke someone should wash your mouth out with soap with all the sewage that spilled out. You are dead wrong saying these murderers deserve a second chance. They are allowed to live i think thats fair considering Nick didn't have the same chance. They were cocky little rich boys who thought they were untouchable. If everyone deserves a second chance lets free Charles Manson, Sirhan Sirhan, and all the other sickos. Your right ma'am let the judicial system handle it and lets the evidence speak for itself. And speaking or rallying for support for a victim is a right

dashingdoll (anonymous profile)
July 1, 2013 at 9:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Is it true Jesse was granted parole? I read this on Wikipedia but it didnt have any references?

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2013 at 12:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Justice was served!!! Jesse Rugge was granted parole July 2nd. I'm joining many Americans who can't wait to see Jesse Rugge walk free at last. And next is going to be Jesse James Hollywood!!!
Susan, I wish you had some supporters who aren't as braindead and shallow primitives as dashingdoll.
All the best ;)

AClarke (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2013 at 12:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow. This is amazing news. My heart goes out to Susan but this is def justice for Jesse Rugge. 13 years in prison and the reality of never living a normal life is punishment enough for his part in this. He should of been let free by Judge Gordon the day of his trial ended. And if Hill gave JJH a fair trial, I believe he would of been found not guilty I've read Susan's book, Stolen Boy, Americans Wanted Killer and pretty much anything else online that I could and do not think either were guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. I hope Susan can accept this decision. Doesn't the governor in California have the power to veto this? Lets hope he doesn't because I seriously doubt Jesse is a danger to society. He seems the most remorseful of all..especially that weasel Pressley. I do not know how Susan could show support for Pressley and not Rugge. I know he was 17 but the other were still kids too. I think the friendship with Pressleys Mom Christina and the promise of his testimony in JJH trial is the only reason she advocated his early release. Again, my prayers are with Susan but this is a great day so I hope she can live with this decision.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2013 at 12:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You are so right Kerry121. Susan supported Pressley's early release (the gravedigger) in exchange for his testimony against JJH as there was no evidence against JJH (other than circumstancial). Yes, JJH was involved in the original kidnapping but he didn't order R. Hoyt to kill Nick. Therefore to prosecute JJH for murder was an absurd!!! Susan wanted as many people as possible to be responsible for her son's death, even though they were not guilty of the crime. In JJH murder case there was so much misconduct and reasonable doubt, but because of the extensive publicity, the movie Alpha Dog, and Susan's involvement, JJH was falsely accused of Nick's death. It was 'win at all cost trial'. Hoyt got what he deserved but apparently it's not enough for Susan. With all due respect for her, she enjoys seeing innocent kids being wrongfully locked up for life, and us, the taxpayers, pay $ to support them. None of her $ goes to support the correction system as she has never worked. She needs to move on and learn to accept the truth that neither Rugge nor Hollywood had anything to do with her son's murder. Kidnapping, yes, murder, NO... That's the truth. It's fair to say that both of them served the time for their involvement in this and both should walk out FREE....

AClarke (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2013 at 1:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Why not just be happy that the person you support, Rugge will be getting this opportunity instead of imprisoning yourself in the past by continually attacking Pressley? Just some words meant in the hopeful spirit of healing and renewal instead of continuing the cycle of hatred, vengeance and violence.

July 3, 2013 at 1:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm sorry you misunderstood me. I was not attacking Pressly at all. I just stated the fact that he was a gravedigger which he admitted himself. And I'm for peace. I'm not continuing any 'cycle of hatred, vengeance and violence', it's just the opposite. I'm for peace and all I'm saying is Rugge and Hollywood deserve to be free. The hatred, vengeance and violence towards the innocent above named needs to be stopped.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2013 at 2:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

AClarke--Do you know when the decision becomes final? I know the govenor can veto tis decision so I was wondering how long he takes to make that decision.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
July 9, 2013 at 12:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The governor can overturn release on parole decision only in murder cases. Jesse Rugge was not convicted on murder charges therefore the governor cannot veto Jesse's release. Jesse is getting out in approximately 4 months. Can be earlier than 4 months. And this is FINAL!!!!

AClarke (anonymous profile)
July 9, 2013 at 3:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Thanks! Again, that is amazing news. I thought the governor could overturn any case that involved life sentences so thanks for clarifying that. I had also saw on the parole board result page that next to his name it said something about veto authority so that was another reason I thought that. You can only pray that he can take this 2nd chance and make something out of his life. It sounds like you may know him or his family so let him know that there are people who do not have a personal connection to this case(live in NJ) that can objectively review the case and see that he should of only been convicted of simple kidnapping. Look there are only 4 people who know the absolute truth, but an intelligent person can read the facts of this case(not watch a movie or listen to hearsay) and see that only Hoyt should still be in prison. Jurors are suppose to be convinced beyond a reasonable doubt so I have no clue how the 3 others were convicted of murder and in Rugge's case, aggravated kidnapping I can only think that Alpha Dog played a huge part of it. I blame the media too, they were spoonfed this story that JJH was the mastermind and never retracted it. It really is a shame because JJH should be home with his son right now instead of rotting in jail for life. That jury should be ashamed of themselves. I was on here when that trial was going on and read all these people who were convinced that he was guilty, but I never could understand how they could believe that based on the evidence. If nobody ever heard of this case and sat down in that courtroom for the first time, I have to believe that nobody would think he was guilty.
Again, I can't imagine the pain and suffering that Susan went and is going through, but I really hope she can see what seems to be so obvious. I hope one day he gets released, but I doubt that will ever happen

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
July 9, 2013 at 5:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

AClarke-- I just read his parole transcript. Looks like the Review Board has 60 days from the decision to review and/or veto it and if they still grant it, then the governor has another 30 days to veto it. And if it all still goes through, I think they estimate his release day of Oct 2014

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
August 1, 2013 at 1:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ohhhh... I might have been wrong. Sorry for miscommunication. Are you sure it's Oct 2014 and not 2013? Where can I find his parole transcript?

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 1, 2013 at 4:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No problem. Go to the California Parole Board website and there is a link for requesting transcripts. His inmate #is T69730 and the date was 2 July. They emailed it to me same day. It's 116 pages bt an easy read. In one part he says that JJH asked him to kill Nicholas. That was the first time he said that. Only through the hearsay testimony of Pressley was that brought up in court. Certainly damning for JJH, but still not enough to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt. And yeah the review board estimates Oct 2014. Let me know what you think or if you have any problems getting the transcripts

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
August 2, 2013 at 7:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Saying JJH asked him to kill Nick was most likely one of the conditions for his parole.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 7:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

And thanks. I'll try to get the transcript.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 7:57 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Ok let me know. But no it wasn't. He actually admitted feeling responsible for murder eventhough he was only convicted of kidnapping with ransom. So he went above and beyond during the hearing. Once you read the transcript you'll see everything

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 1:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ok. Thx ;) I submitted the request via email.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 4:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Also, please keep in mind that Jesse Rugge said whatever they wanted to hear in order to have his parole granted. Both, Jesse R. and Jesse H. should be free since it's fair to say they already suffered enough and did the time for their involvement in this ordeal. Keeping them locked up is not going to bring Nick back. The gunman, Ryan H. got what he deserved as it was him who took this precious young life. They all were so young and high on drugs most of the time. Jesse R. and Jesse H. are not dangerous to the society and us, the taxpayers have to support them. We don't know what really happened. Only they do. They only know if Jesse H. asked either Jesse R. or Ryan H. However, whatever the truth is, it is not going to bring Nick back. I do realize that it's a tromenous tragedy for Nick's family, but in order to move forward in their lives, they need to forgive them. They need to forgive them to be able to move on and not be held back. They have to still live their lives.
And keeping both Jesses locked up makes no sense as they are not dangerous to the society. We keep bad guys locked up because they are dangerous, and to prevent them from committing crimes and hurting others. Both Jesses are not violent guys. I'd rather see my tax $ go towards educating the youth about staying away from any types of drugs than supporting the 2 Jesses.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 9:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Tremendous tragedy... Sorry for the misspell...

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 3, 2013 at 9:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)

While I agree that both shold be let free, have paid their dues for their involvement, and neither are dangers to society, I do not know if I feel Rugge said all those things just to be paroled. I truly believe that is greatly remorseful for what happened. I believe that he feels that his actions/inactions led to this poor child dying. While I am sure some things were played up for effect, the transcript sounded sincere.
On the Markowitz's front, my heart goes out to them, especially Susan, I read her book and really felt bad, but I think its highly hypocritical that she supported the release of Pressley, but wants both Jesses never to see the light of day. Yes Pressley was a minor at 17, but 20 years old is hardly a grown adult.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
August 5, 2013 at 9:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

and i made a mistake, the review board has 120 days to change their mind, not 60...then 30 more for the governor

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
August 5, 2013 at 9:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Kerry121 - please don't get me wrong. I do think that all of 5 guys deeply regret what they have done. They were all so young at the time, high on drugs and alcohol most of the time and their rational thinking and deductive reasoning were badly impaired. At the time sobriety kicked in, they started to realize and comprehend what happened and what they have done. I bet not a day goes by that they don't think about this and don't regret very much. There is nothing more they wish now than to go back in time prior to that horrific August day and handle the situation way differently. And they would also do whatever it takes to be free....

AClarke (anonymous profile)
August 6, 2013 at 7:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Susan Markowitz makes me sick. All the sympathy I had for her is gone. Her pleading and begging has finally paid off. She arranged for the governor to veto the parole board's decision to let Jesse Rugge free. He has spent 13 years behind bars and even though the prison parole board and their supervisors agreed that he had paid for his crime, she couldn't accept that. Who is she to think she has higher authority than them? Jesse Rugge isn't Susan Atkins. There wouldn't be world wide coverage upon his release. I live on the East Coast and the only online article I found saying he was granted parole was on this site.

She likes to mention in articles that if the jury saw his confession tape, he would of got life w/out parole. Well if her son wasn't a 15 year old drug addict running away to get his stash that he hid the night before, then those fateful events in the summer of 2000 wouldn't have taken place. I know that was a harsh thing to write, but since she was successfully able to sway the governor with every piece of incriminating evidence out there, then she needs to look at her own son as well.

Again, I am not saying that using drugs means you deserve to be murdered, but as Omar on "The Wire" says. "It's all in the game."

From what I read, and I've read alot, Jesse Rugge is truly repentful for his sins. He isnt a pedophile or a serial killer, there is 0 chance for him to repeat. I read his recent parole transcript and everyone was amazed on how well he did inside. He made a terrible mistake by trusting the wrong people and yes drugs played a part in that.

But the thing about Mrs. Markowitz that upsets me is not that she wants every single person involved in this case to pay with their own life, but that she again used all her influence and arranged for Pressley to be released. And she only did that because she needed him to testify against JJH. So she was ok for someone to be released only after what 5 years? (remember he was free on bail during his trials), but she isnt ok with someone to be released after 14+ years when its all said and done.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 10:37 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What??????????
I had to pinch myself to make sure I don't read your post in my dreams!!!!! How do you know the governor overturned???
IT IS SOOOOO INSANE!!! She needs to check back in mental hospital!!!! This woman, Susan, will loose many people's sympathy with her vindictiveness.....

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 3:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Really, kerry121, you are blaming the victim for his own murder? Bottom line is that Nicholas is dead, and Justin is alive. Let him rot.

discoboy (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 5:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Discoboy - Jesse Rugge did not kill Nicholas. Hoyt did. Jesse Rugge offered Nick leaving multiple times but Nick chose partying where he could drink and get high on drugs instead of going home. Nick didn't want to go back home.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 5:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Perhaps Jesse Rugge did not kill Nicholas, but he participated in the conspiracy that resulted in his death, hence, he is culpable. I don't think you know what Nicholas wanted to do. And don't give me this crap about them being so young and high that they are somehow not responsible for their actions.

discoboy (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 5:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Discoboy - I didn't give you any 'crap', I just posted my opinions as you did so, and I didn't say they are not responsible. I just expressed my opinions to try to rationalize the trigger to their actions. Guilty with excuses. And for Jesse Rugge's involvement, over 14 years is more than enough. The Parole Board's decision was to release him. The state sentenced him and made a decision when to release him, so why not just accept that? Why doubt the justice system that we believe in so much and why not honor their decision? Put the vindictiveness aside. It's horribly sick.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 2, 2013 at 8:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

AClarke... Yes the governor veto'd the decision, but unbeknown to me, all that meant is he asked them to reconsider....which they did...and.....He is still being released!!! And not in Oct 2014 like that transcripts said, but supposedly this week!!!!! I cant believe it.
I hope he can put the past behind him and live a long successful life. Susan Markowitz is of course going crazy, but she is going to have to live with this. I am so happy that the parole system actually worked.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 10:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This is amazing! Is it a fact? I'm so happy for him. I really hope that he will be able to make a good life for himself and put that horrible chapter behind him. I'm sure he has the family support he needs. Is it really this week? I can't even imagine how happy Jesse must be now and what goes through his mind and heart. I wish I could be there to welcome him to the outside world which is long overdue.
I hope Susan will be able to move forward without anger being a part of her life.
I wish Jesse all the best!!!

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 21, 2013 at 7:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's all over the web. There is a new article on this site as well. It says as possibly today.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 22, 2013 at 4:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It is today!!! Jesse Rugge is currently processed out of prison. I wish I could be there when he gets out!!! I wish him all the best and I can't even imagine what and how he feels about walking out as a FREE MAN!!!
Thanks to Susan Markowitz and her indirect involvement Jesse is walking out a year earlier than planned!!! I really wish I could be there to see him walking out and going home....
All the best Jesse...

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 22, 2013 at 11:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Kerry - would you know if Jesse walked out today? I can't find anything confirming so.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 22, 2013 at 7:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)

To AClarke and Kerry121:

Excuse me for coming into your lil convo about how wonderful of a person you both think Jesse Rugge is.
First of all none of you are even apart of this life situation. This does not affect you or your families life on a everyday basis. And if you are maybe you should be true to the person you so willingly support and tell us how you are related. But for myself and the Markowitz family this is something we have to endure every single day. This is someone our family has to live with out for the rest of our lives. And for you to sit here and say the nasty things you do about a child that was murdered at 15 years old. About a mother that has had her whole heart ripped from her it disgusting!!!! My Aunt is heart broken, and like any mother that loves and cares for her child you will do anything and everything to protect them dead or alive.
I guess it takes a lot for a person to be so hateful and rude, to say the comments show how you have no morals. Unlike you I could say a million things terrible about all these people involved, I could spit hate as you two have done. But like my mother always taught me if you cant say anything nice don't say anything at all. Obviously you both come from no morals because people with morals would look at this situation and keep there disgusting comments to themselves. Your words are vomit so keep spewing your hate!

Sincerly a heart broken cousin Tiffany Markowitz Alarcon
Im not affraid to say who I am.

Tiffany123 (anonymous profile)
October 24, 2013 at 2:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Tiffany123.. What you wrote was probably the most hypocritical thing I ever read. But anyway, I didn't say one nasty thing abt Nick other than basically that he was a 15 year old boy that had a drug problem. And that is just facts written in countless newspapers. But if you read other posts,I said that he didn't deserve to die for that, nobody does.

I am not related to Jesse in anyway and live on the other side of the country. But I've immersed myself in this case reading books, trial transcripts, parole transcripts, and news articles so I'm confident to say I have a really good picture if what went on. That said I believe Jesse deserves a 2nd chance, the parole board believes this as well or they never would of released him. While my heart and prayers go out to Susan Markowitz, 13 years for his role in the crime is acceptable. A big issue I have with her is how she advocated Pressley's release. Now I've read her book as well as heard her reasons, but I feel if JJH was still at large, she never would of did that. He seemed to be just as if not more guilty as Jesse

I'm not looking to attack you like you just did, as I know you are pain, but sentence guidelines are set for a reason, parole boards serve a purpose, and Jesse deserves a chance just like anyone else would. He shouldn't be held to a higher standard just because Susan Markowitz is high profile or reasons like that. Bad kids that go to prison, act up in prison, misguided and scared kids usually turn out ok and that is what I feel we have here

I hope as time goes on your pain subsides.

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 24, 2013 at 5:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Tiffany123 - I was going to ignore your comment but I decided to respond just in case you failed to read what you wrote.  You are contradicting yourself my dear. First you write you are not going to spit hate because your mother taught you not to, but in the very next sentence that's exactly what you are doing. You are being rude, obnoxious and very disrespectful. You are spitting hate towards people who have different opinions than you do. And unlike you, I know exactly how it feels to loose a child and I'm not going around trying to put behind bars for life everyone who came in contact with my child prior to his death. And I don't publicly accuse legal authorities such as parole board of  'unjustified actions'.  As far as my name, it's in my username. It doesn't say anything to you, does it? Why then bother? As far as Jesse Rugge, he didn't kill your cousin. And no, I'm not related to any of the guys. Never met them. I'm just an open minded and lever headed citizen who doesn't get carried away by emotions.
I hope this fulfills your curiosity.
In the future, before you start pointing fingers make sure your hands are clean my dear.

AClarke (anonymous profile)
October 24, 2013 at 7:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

A heartbroken relative versus the besotted fangirls.
Sad on so many levels.

zappa (anonymous profile)
October 24, 2013 at 8:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This whole thing has shades of the Nuremburg trials. We know murder took place, and people are arguing like attorneys over which ones were/weren't responsible.

I found the comment "thanks to Susan Markowitz" disgusting.

October 24, 2013 at 8:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Obnoxious, Contradicting, and hypocritical....... Actually NO!!!
ANNOYED that people have nothing better to do with their lives then obsess over my cousins murder, my Aunt and spit hate and lies...... Yes that is what I am.

So excuse me but when you attack my dead cousin and call him a DRUG ADDICT when he has no voice to speak for himself, I am gonna have a lot to say. First off you did not know anyone involved on a personal note so how dare you sit behind your computer and make such harsh statements. Nick was far from a drug addict he was a normal 15 year old kid that tried and experimented with drugs.(like majority of teenagers) What you wrote is spitting hate and labeling. You are trying to find an excuse to justify why he was killed and that is wrong!!!

Also if you are going to "WISH" my Aunt to check herself back in a MENTAL HOSPITAL, I am going to have a lot to say on this too. You have no idea what hell our family has been threw. As everyone deals with death differently and everyone's story is different. So how dare you sit here and make rude comments as you did just because SHE WANTS justice for her only child. Maybe you should re read what you write before you send it in.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this situation just as many do, but the minute you start labeling, wishing and talking badly about people you know nothing about. Do not be surprised when fingers start pointing at you!
My hands are always clean I do not have anything to hide from. I know the truth and the facts from living this nightmare. But thank you, I am so happy my families nightmare is such a huge part of your life. XOXOXO

Tiffany123 (anonymous profile)
October 25, 2013 at 3:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Tiffany123- I probably shouldnt comment anymore, but I need to point out one thing. You are complaining that we have nothing better to do with our lives than to "obsess" over your dead cousin and that it is such a huge part of our lives, but my question is...Can you blame us for our "interest"? First off, we as Americans are the most nosiest country around and second, this is such a high profile case.

Were you upset when there was a major motion picture made? Were you upset when there were books written and tv shows dedicated to this case? Were you even mad at your Aunt when she decided to write a book? Heck, the first words out of her mouth on the courthouse steps when JJH was found guilty was that she has a book coming out. So this country and even your Aunt wants us to care about this case, and now you are mad when ppl actually do? Or is just the ppl who dont share your opinion? Now if I just watched Alpha Dog, I would think that all these defendants belonged on Death Row (which was my initial thought), but I know that there are always two sides to every story, and since the movie interested me enough, I gathered all the material available. So that is why I draw the conclusions I have, not that I'm sicko who just wants your family to suffer, but an educated person who took the time to gather all the facts.

If you read AClarke's comments, you would of read that he/she tragically lost a son to murder where the remains were never found and the killer walked free. So how can you attack his/her motives?

I am not going to say anything mean spirited, but according to police reports and trial testimony, Nick himself admitted that he was "addicted to valium".

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 25, 2013 at 3:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I"ve stayed out of this debate for years but some of the comments in this thread are so disgusting I have to step in. Whether or not Nick was "addicted to valium" is irrelevant. Second, does "AClarke" even identify her/himself?

If one wants to argue what happened leading up to the murder, that's not only ok, but relevant to the extent that it affects the lives of those sent to prison, but to go after someone who cannot defend themself with unfounded and irrelevant accusations of drug use is low life.

October 25, 2013 at 4:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I just wish people would see that this whole incident resulted from the government's war on drugs and that these types of incidents will continue to happen OVER AND OVER until we stop the war on drugs. Jesse could stay in prison the rest of his life and it wouldn't make a damn difference because we are still fighting the war on drugs. If Susan Markowitz really cared about future victims like her son she would have written a book that showed how the war on drugs was responsible for her 15 year old's death. Who cares about JJH?????

Ben owed JJH $1,200 either because he stole it or was unable to pay it back. What was that for, a quarter pound of weed? A quarter pound of tomatoes costs less than $1 !!!! When was the last time somebody was shot for stealing tomatoes??

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 25, 2013 at 4:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Mr Clausen. It's relevant when your defending your comment against another comment. I didn't make it up, it is on record. But I'll agree with you that no more comments should be make about the victim. As you said he isn't here to defend himself so that's the last word I'll say about him

This case really bothers me because only the evidence in Hoyt's case proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he was guilty. By the time JJH got to trial, I don't think there were 12 ppl in California, nonetheless, Santa Barbara who would have enough guys to vote not guilty

kerry121 (anonymous profile)
October 25, 2013 at 4:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)