Summertime is fine when the sun is hot and the pool is chilly.

Courtesy Photo

Summertime is fine when the sun is hot and the pool is chilly.

A Community Pool in Goleta

Treasured Memories of Summertime Should Include a Body of Water

Monday, July 22, 2013
Comments

As I was enjoying the 4th of July and the marvelous weather that the Central Coast abundantly offers during the past four-day weekend, I reminisced on those times I spent carefree when I was a little girl and had fun while enjoying summertime. In most of those treasured memories, there’s always a body of water included. Whether it was the ocean, a river, a lake, or our community pool, feeling the freshness, and looking at those tiny drops of water running down my body was not only a treat for the senses but also great entertainment.

Our community pool was very close to my home, and other than offering daily fun and challenging physical activity, it also offered an incomparable tease for my curiosity and my imagination. But, it was not only me. My cousins, my friends, and my neighbors used to convene there, and everyone took care of everyone. “Our” pool seriously promoted community. Even police officers that patrolled our neighborhood swung by to make sure everything was in order. Many adults, or what I considered then viejos (pretty much everyone over 18), were having lots of fun, too.

Silvia Uribe

When at the pool, one thing was for sure: I never wanted to get out. However, I had to obey my mom and get out quickly (after the third call) to go back home for dinner. Gosh! I remember how, after swimming and playing most of the day, my belly started to growl. The five-minute walk home seemed like an eternity, but the sacrifice was well compensated with a yummy dinner that my mother had prepared the night before. After that, I was done for the day!

When my two daughters were growing up here in Goleta, they didn’t have the advantage of having a community pool where I could have taken them. What about the ocean, you ask? Well, yes. We did go to the ocean, but with the water being so cold, we could only go in the water during the last days of summer, when the bright sun has had enough shining days for the water to be warmer.

Today, there are many new constructions going up in Goleta. You can see how the landscape changes by the minute. Office buildings go up, hotels go up, stores are also built, even housing we see increase. Moreover, a nonprofit organization is even raising money to build a skating rink. However, the construction of a community swimming pool (which is a no-brainer, having the incomparable climate that we have) has never been considered in Goleta, or if it has, the idea has not been taken seriously enough to make it a reality. Why not consider using part of Girsh Park to house a community pool? This will make Girsh Park our city’s epicenter, along with a shopping mall and an ice rink. Or, make the ice rink a dual-use location; it could house a community pool during summertime and be converted to an ice rink the rest of the year. Of course, not being an architect, this perhaps sounds logical to only me.

A pool will provide to parents, grandparents, and children of all ages a place to have a grassy area for a picnic and a decent-size pool where children will play, sunbathe, exercise, and laugh. Have you noticed how much people laugh when they’re in a pool?

Since the moment I came to live in Goleta years ago, I’ve heard a general clamor for healthy activities for our youth 11-14 to partake. It is clear that there is no appropriate entertainment for this age group locally. Although some people might argue that Dos Pueblos and San Marcos high schools have pools, and that these can be used by the community, unfortunately, these pools are already used to the maximum by those high school students practicing and playing their water sports, and there’s very little room for anything else. Believe me, I tried with very little success.

When a nice community pool in Goleta will be built depends only on the vision of our government and on the resources of our local entrepreneurs and private donors. But wouldn’t it be nice to have one?

Related Links

Comments

Great idea! This would be a much better use of our community resources than the planned ice skating rink in Goleta. A community pool would be well-utilized by a large segment of the population.

Nockamixon (anonymous profile)
July 22, 2013 at 11:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

More pool access would be great. However my feeling is that DPHS' pool is a community pool. My kids have taken swimming lessons there a number of times and I believe they still offer open swim times. In addition, I'm not sure if you're familiar with all of the great options they have for summer programs for youth that are outside of the pool. Check them out here: http://santa-barbara-ca.parentclick.c....

vkushnerov (anonymous profile)
July 22, 2013 at 11:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The ice skating rink is privately funded.

July 22, 2013 at 12:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

KV, that's not completely true. A news article published in February estimates that Goleta's contribution to the park will likely be around $1 million. This amount includes a $250,000 "grant" and a waiver of $283,875 in park development fees in addition to future commitments. While the majority of the funds are being raised through "private" sources, it is not correct to assume that there are no community resources being used for this project.

Nockamixon (anonymous profile)
July 22, 2013 at 5:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I personally think a skate park would be more utilized and of interest; and that is just my hmo. I hope people enjoy the rink.

July 22, 2013 at 5:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I think that is a GREAT idea! I also would love to see old town used better with the new park being put in, parades down Hollister would be so cool! Not sure where everyone would park but Goleta needs to have more community things going on! Maybe Deckers and Target and some of those other big companies out there (Allergan, Circon, Raytheon, etc.) could each pitch in.

santabarbarasand (anonymous profile)
July 23, 2013 at 6:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I would also love a community pool in Goleta. Great idea! A skate park would also be good, but I prefer a pool. The ice skating rink isn't as appealing though.

sbs124 (anonymous profile)
July 23, 2013 at 7:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I thought the DP pool WAS a community pool. At least that was the pitch they gave me when I donated to it. Or was that just a scam by the school district to raise money? If the Goleta community isn't allowed to use the pool, then I say give back the donations made by the community to create the pool.

JamesGossett (anonymous profile)
July 23, 2013 at 8:19 a.m. (Suggest removal)

In my opinion, Goleta could have gotten more bang for their buck by building an indoor/outdoor community center instead of the skating rink.

The skating rink is a large building with a very specific function and not insignificant operating costs that I suspect will cater to a smaller segment of the population (though I wish them success).

An indoor/outdoor community center could host a wider variety of activities and therefore serve a larger portion of the community. There could be large partionable multi-use rooms to host activities for all ages day and night. Outdoor insfrastucture could include a pool, skate park, etc. integrated with the existing fields and basketball courts.

Goleta does have the old Community Center on Hollister, but the last time I was there (for the motorcycle class) the place seems small for its intended purpose.

July 23, 2013 at 9:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Good idea about a pool; how about having one in the new park off Hollister? That would serve the many residents who live in that area, would be within walking distance! A pool sharing with the ice rink sounds sensible, although I think an ice rink in Southern California is ridiculous and not likely to attract a large percentage of Goletans.

at_large (anonymous profile)
July 23, 2013 at 4:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

A pool, huh? How about the large body of water that me and my friends used to use, growing up here. The Pacific Ocean.

brimo7272 (anonymous profile)
July 23, 2013 at 4:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The Dirty Knobs