A Ford Escape carrying two SBPD officers rests on its side after it was hit by a drunk driver exiting Highway 101

Mike Clark

Drunk Driver Crashes into Police Car

Officers Avoid Major Injury in Dramatic 4th of July Accident

Friday, July 5, 2013
Comments

Two Santa Barbara police officers escaped relatively unscathed from a violent vehicle accident on the 4th of July when a drunk driver broadsided their car on Calle Real. At around 11 p.m., 29-year-old Jason Hunter — whose blood-alcohol level registered 0.17 percent two hours after the accident — was exiting northbound Highway 101 on the El Sueno Road offramp when his Subaru Outback hit a guardrail and flew airborne into the Calle Real intersection. It slammed broadside into the officers’ unmarked Ford Escape, causing it to roll onto its side and trapping Officer Craig Rullman and Officer Andrew Merrett within. They had just dropped off a detainee at the County Jail.

A Subaru Outback rests upside down after colliding with a Ford Escape carrying two police officers
Click to enlarge photo

Mike Clark

A Subaru Outback rests upside down after colliding with a Ford Escape carrying two police officers

The Subaru came to rest on its roof, and Hunter was knocked unconscious. The officers were able to radio for help from inside their car, and a good Samaritan climbed onto its side and helped them crawl out. Noticing Hunter’s car was smoking and smelled of gas, all three men then pulled him from the Subaru. Both officers were treated and released from Cottage Hospital. Hunter was also treated and later booked on drunk driving charges.

Comments

This reminds me of the time I had a drunk pull into the News-Press parking lot. He claimed he was a relative of "the owner" (pre-Wendy McCaw) and he gave me a bogus name for the owner. (Big surprise) I flagged down a cop just as he was leaving the lot, the cop followed him around the corner, the guy stopped, and backed into the cop car.

By the way, it would be interesting to see where these drunk drivers come from before getting behind the wheel. Or would the bars object to having that being made public knowledge?

July 5, 2013 at 6:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I showed up about 30 minutes after the accident and live nearby. The police had all four stops blocked. All I was told to do was turn around and that I would not get through. When I told the officer I lived up the street, he just walked away and could have cared less. Typical 'cop' mentality that turns so many off. There is a small, dirt lot that I easily maneuvered across and went home. Pretty simple solution.

notintohype (anonymous profile)
July 5, 2013 at 8:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

In the Noozhawk photo SBPD cops look more like gang members trying to start a fight than police officers concerned about public safety - 91 extra officers (all on OT?), a parking space dispute and a balcony fireworks viewing dispute, one illegal fireworks citation.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
July 5, 2013 at 8:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

July 5, 2013 at 11:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Thank god spiritwanker that you've only been to a bar once. Was that during the time you flunked out of MP school?? Now we all know the reason for flunking, you can't read......

14noscams, this is the Independent not sure what the cops on OT have to do with a drunk driver article.

Hey DG, you gonna take this case???

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 6:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

kv-It's hard to be factually diligent when the Sheriff is always chasing him...How can poor spirit read when he is always on the run?

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 7:46 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Seems the tipsy guy took the exit ramp a tab too fast.

emptynewsroom (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 9:46 a.m. (Suggest removal)

spirit, you certainly have no "intillectual 'betters' "!

July 6, 2013 at 10:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 11:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

My point is proven. If you're trying to infer that I will say "yes" or "no" at an opportune time to gain favor, then your post does not make any sense. Asskiss is one word Einstein. As for bottom feeder, I'd rather be a bottom feeder than a Slopsucker like you.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 11:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 11:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Baracuda

July 6, 2013 at 11:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Here's a story without an ending:

July 6, 2013 at 12:04 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh my Spritwalker, calling people "tards" is quite insensitive and politically incorrect. I do believe you're a racist.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 12:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No the official racists of this site are foo and johnlocke.

July 6, 2013 at 12:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Did you just get your word of the day book?

Seriously though, I just spoke with the 5th floor charge nurse at Cottage. Your bed is ready.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 12:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Please provide an example of "flowery sophistry" being utilized in this thread...

July 6, 2013 at 12:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"existence" would be the proper spelling.

July 6, 2013 at 1:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Enough about you, how about me?

July 6, 2013 at 1:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I like to pop in between renders, cheap entertainment. I'll happily take donations.

July 6, 2013 at 1:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What's your excuse?

July 6, 2013 at 1:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'd love to stay here all day and banter back and forth with you Spritwalker, but I have to go. I have a panga boat to unload.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 1:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Obviously.

July 6, 2013 at 1:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Notice sacjon and vraiment never comment at the same time.

July 6, 2013 at 1:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

With Hunter behind the wheel, it might take awhile.

July 6, 2013 at 2:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"spiritwalker, that was .17 percent alcohol- the driver was 29yo. Are you cross eyed my friend?"

July 5, 2013 at 11:30 p.m.

Cross eyed drunk perhaps.

"

I've only been to an actual bar once - do you really think a 17 YO was drinking in a bar? Really?"

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
July 5, 2013 at 8:21 p.m.

It depends. How old were you when you were in there?

"I seems to me spritwalker, that you are the "Einstein" for you continually bait with an empty hook."

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 11:21 a.m.

"Vraiment"...really?

"Have some of you posters been drinking tonight, because after some of these comments I can't believe anyone is this dumb."

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 11:54 a.m.

My I.Q. has dropped ten points since reading this blog.

"What's your excuse?"

July 6, 2013 at 1:24 p.m.
Sir, excuse for WHAT sir?!

"Oh my Spritwalker, calling people 'tards' is quite insensitive and politically incorrect. I do believe you're a racist.

Hey AZtoSB, get up off the floor and look outside; the sun is up. You probably think Evan Mecham is still governor."

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 12:21 p.m.

Indeed it's politically incorrect. "Special needs" is the good term. I however, commend the wily spirit for writing " 'tards" and not "tards". Punctuation is good.

I'd say, y'all get B+ for creative writing and blogging. This has been an entertaining blog, but I must go back to my puerile cogitations over the happenings of the Kardashian sisters.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 4:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

We obviously got downgraded for spirit's bad spelling.

July 6, 2013 at 4:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

DAMN, I've been at a conspiracy convention all day. But, I see I left it in good hands all day. Great job holding down the fork KV, Vraiment!!!

I want to welcome Vraiment to the brother hood of spiritwanker truth detectors. I laughed my a$$ off.......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 8:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

wow, this story really shows how much these brave police officers risk everyday. i am so proud of them, i think we should be considering pay raises for them, after all, they put their lives on the line everytime they go to work. they also look so sexy in their tight uniforms, and especially with their big shiny nightsticks. sometimes in the middle of the night when i am feeling wrestless and sweaty, i think about calling 911. i would get in a lot of trouble for a false alarm though. although, i have to say it makes me feel a little dewy downstairs when i think of a big hairy sweaty man in uniform coming to my door in the middle of the night and punishing me with his big shiny nightstick. is that wrong? all in all, these these glistening, polished, fearless, brave, muscular exemplars of strapping manhood should be rewarded, over and over again in any way they request, even if it is a little painful sometimes i promise to be a good boy and not cry like Lawdy does. As always, your obedient bootlicker, Priceless.

redbunz (anonymous profile)
July 6, 2013 at 8:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

In his sparetime redbunz collects Tom of Finland, and is currently choreographing the musical version of Pasolini's "Salo".

July 6, 2013 at 11:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I guess that is why your screen name is "redbunz" I see you take it well.....

spiritwanker, did you change your screen name???

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 7:14 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It took me a little longer to unload the panga then I initially intended, but I’m back. To be completely honest I started to read Redbunz’s post and got somewhat aroused. I want to take this opportunity to thank Redbunz for the continued business. Without people like him/her our beloved panga boats wouldn’t be necessary.

Check me if I’m wrong on this Redbunz, but you didn’t score too high on the writing portion of the SAT, did you?

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 7:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"I keep pointing out that the trolls have nothin REAL to say about any given topic, unless it's to show mindless support for "our heroes"."

Watch were you point redbunz will get excited......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 8:19 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Redbunz, if you look back.....the tears, sobbing and outright wailing have come from you and spirittugmuscle about law enforcement.

Tugmuscle, none of your knucklehead points are worth rebutting...and your best one-liner is where you claim to be a taxpayer.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 8:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Once again spiritwanker you can't read or comprehend plain English writing.

The panga's hitting our local beaches according to news articles are carrying "illegal aliens & marijuana". Have not read one article of a panga loaded with cocaine hitting our beaches. Get it "f**ktard local yocals"!!!

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 8:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Funny how the name calling keeps coming from spiritwanker.

Has this little man ever posted evidence about any of his ramblings??

spiritwanker, don't be embarrassed about being small, it's not the length that excites a women it's how you use it.

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 9:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I thought we were talking about panga's?? How is a panga rowed across land?? And you are calling me stupid??

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 9:06 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You really need help dude. Haven't dodged one question. That would be you... Answered everything you've posted. Can't help you if your unwilling to concede that there is more than just "cocaine" coming across border...

But really though, I've heard if you pull on it enough times it might get bigger. Give it a shot young man!!!

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 9:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Are you reverting back to your cavemen days?? If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times being small is nothing to be embarrassed about.

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 10:06 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"(And you really are wasting you time with the put downs, I've been tried by the best - no anger management issues here!)"

No, none at all, that's why you keep beating your chest with mindless dribble.....

And that would be "your" not "you".....

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 10:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't think it's cocaine or any drug being smuggled unless it's additional. I think it's guns and people.

July 7, 2013 at 10:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Two Rubes in a Skiff
starring
Peter Adam & Frank Hotchkiss
Music & lyrics by Josef Goebbels

July 7, 2013 at 11:01 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You are the master at seeing things that routinely disappear with nobody else seeing it.

Your right, it's a vast government led conspiracy intended to get mindless lemmings like yourself to vote for more taxes that ultimately come back as grants to play make believe with panga's on our local beaches while neglecting the border. I would have never thought local politicians would be in cahoots with the federal government pretending to land panga's in SB in order to allow the cartels to walk across the border.

You are way to smart to allow yourself to be just a local blog poster. You should apply to be an MP so you can investigate the disappearing article caper........

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:16 a.m. (Suggest removal)

spirityanker, I heard Area 51 is missing its village idiot......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Is that the bone through your nose??

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Now be careful, we don’t want to upset Spritwalker. He obviously believes he is some sort of reincarnated medicine man. The room he rents is filled with dreamcatchers and all sorts of potions. There is a good chance he will put a hex on us. Actually, I think the reason you use Spritwalker as your ID is because you walk to the bar and drink all the sprits. Oh wait, I forgot you’ve only been to a bar once in your life. BS!!!

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Spiritwalker said he'd been to a bar once, he didn't say he left.

July 7, 2013 at 11:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Now thats funny.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Forgive me for I must now leave to attend a "Planted panga boat" meeting. We have to come up with a new plan since spirityanker is on to us. I'm going to have to call tech support to rewrite my conspiracy notes so that spirityanker will not know its me. Then I must call the Indy to place my article on the web then immediately take it down........

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 11:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You haven't proven the sacjon/vraiment connection.

July 7, 2013 at 12:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You can't assert something without proof.
Innocence before proven guilty applies to everyone.
You act more like a government operative than anyone, think about it.
Have a nice day.

July 7, 2013 at 12:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You're the detective, you tell me.

July 7, 2013 at 12:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

If I were running a secret program to plant pangas for whatever ulterior motive, I would use spiritwalker to make anyone who doubted the authenticity look crazy.

July 7, 2013 at 12:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I.e. spiritwalker, I bet you're actually a really nice person. May I suggest stepping back, take a deep breath and reconsider how you present your case.

July 7, 2013 at 12:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Somebody must've bought a round.

July 7, 2013 at 12:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"What is the meaning of life?" is one question I've never been able to answer.

July 7, 2013 at 12:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Spritwalkman, you can't word play my name because you have no idea what it means....... Wait..... can you see it? Whoa, that was close..... there is a black helicopter flying over Spritwalkers rented room. Be careful they're watching.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 1:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You're obviously very unhappy, I respect your right to choose to be so.

July 7, 2013 at 1:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

spirityanker during our "Planted panga boat" meeting I had our detectives contact the NSA where going to watch you through your monitor. SAY CHEESE!!!!

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 1:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Priceless, the shaman Spritwalker is going to get a little blonde Barbie and stick pins in it.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 2:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No worries I'm under an umbrella!!!

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 2:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hey.... Can we get back on topic?

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 2:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Crudele! Smetti di farmi ridere!

July 7, 2013 at 2:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You'd think Hunter was driving this conversation it's gone so off course.

July 7, 2013 at 2:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

KV, I can't help it; this is just too easy.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 2:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

spirityanker, Mork called your egg is ready. Na Nu Na Nu......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 4:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Mork calling Orsen, Mork calling Orsen.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 4:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I've grown quite tired of hearing you people saying that "spiritwalker" is the crazy one here. I think the post I'm about to make will dispel that myth.

For Many years from, Much more then to flyer. I do just fined. I Went flyer, flies, flew, I am from Cambodia, a very far, at I Want later Wait after." I May go back to Cambodia Someday." Says with this flyer." So I need to know the Cambodian language." Skills to Myself, believe Me it's true, and there over there at My Countries, Cities, and States.

For Many years from, much more then to buy a house. I do just fined, when I was bought a house from home, For My families, and but now I lives in Cambodian, and I Still Male, I just alone one person byoboy, and How longer for a 1,000-years old to Myself. Everything was anything it's Here over there, and to Staying Safety Matters, and I very busy with it. at My home, are Still there over there, and at My Countries.

I do just fined. I has in minded. I had My Good idea's of boy and Men, and I am from Cambodia, I'm Good I looking for I like Cambodian, and Sweetheart boy and Men, and same boths with together with Me, and Make

some friends with Me, and something, someone, alone, persons and
there are many other people's, and at My Countries, Cities, and States, and beautifully it's another, others, at all this from My Saved Left, remaining, are Still there over there, and I'm very Good lucky, and I do just fined, and I do Information, to remember that, at all this from to keep on paper to Staying Safety Matters, and for Staying in. touch to Me, it's true.

I know, I don't like who are they. I don't like No, I'm not Love.
I don't like No, i'm not Marry. I don't like No, I'm not Sexual.
I don't like No, I'm not A Child, babies: for those of Countries, Cities,and it's another, others, and I
know, I don't like who are they Texico, ugly, Lousy, phew! it's Here over there at Countries, there
over there, at all this from to remember that to News, Information to Stay.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 5:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

SPIRITYANKER, LOOK A LIKE MINDED POST!!!!! Can you relate???

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 5:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Read it backwards and it makes sense.

July 7, 2013 at 6 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I wish i'd have thought of that.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 7, 2013 at 6:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Record it, then play it at 78, and Ozzy Osbourne will marry Pat Boone.

July 7, 2013 at 6:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I drank in a bar at 17 with a fake ID, I also hit a police car in a drunk driving high speed chase back in Indiana. I was doing around 100mph when I hit the back of the police car shearing off the back bumper and lights. I also hit a pole went thru a chain link fence a bunch of 55 gallon trash barrels a picnic table and one solid tree. I tried to hang myself in jail and my boot lace snapped but I had a neck burn from the experience. Since I was suicidal I was charged with 3 counts of suicide attempt the att. hanging, the car wreck, and I mulitated my arm the week before. I got time served and mental health help. Anythings possible when your a screw up..

Byrd (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 8:11 a.m. (Suggest removal)

WHAT!!!! I don't get a medal??? I'm very disappointed and hurt. I thought we were friends.......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 8:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Can I have a medal now??

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 9:23 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Whew, what an exhaustive thread! Well, hate to disappoint you Spirit, but Vraiment and I are NOT the same person. I was actually out enjoying a beautiful weekend before I had to come back to the fusion center to conduct my surveillance of your posts. The guys here at the "facility" just adore your handiwork!

Now, hows about we get back on track here, eh?

sacjon (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 10:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Shhhh. They just gave Dreamweaver his meds. We don't want to wake him.

Vraiment (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 10:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Spankwire derailed the train along time ago. If he were able to get back on the tracks he would still get lost..... Hope I didn't say that to loud Vraiment...

Priceless (anonymous profile)
July 8, 2013 at 10:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm surprised I'm the idiot, I tried to be nice. I guess that makes me the idiot.

July 8, 2013 at 12:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)