WEATHER »

Superior Court Judge Updated on Gang Injunction Status

Juvenile Court Judge Reviewing 9,000 Pages of Materials.


Monday, January 28, 2013
Article Tools
Print friendly
E-mail story
Tip Us Off
iPod friendly
Comments
Share Article

The road toward a trial on the city’s proposed gang injunction is still backed up like Highway 101 at rush hour as the civil court awaits the juvenile court’s review of voluminous juvenile records before it can proceed.

City attorney Tom Shapiro and Deputy District Attorney Michael Carrozzo told Judge Colleen Sterne they were waiting for juvenile court Judge Thomas Adams to review materials related to their request to release the juvenile information of people named in the city’s proposed gang injunction. In total, they said, were roughly 9,000 pages of police reports and other material for Adams to review. They gave a quick update to the judge Monday morning in superior court.

The city’s controversial plan — which names 30 people in the legal filing, along with the Eastside and Westside gangs — would prohibit gang members from wearing certain types of clothing and from associating with other gang members in proposed “safe zones” around the city. They wouldn’t be allowed to have weapons, use drugs or alcohol, or recruit for their gang in these zones. These 30 people have been labeled by police as the city’s “baddest of the bad.”

In backing its claim for the need for a gang injunction — which was first introduced in March 2011 — the city included juvenile information normally held under seal in its court filings. Sterne determined the inclusion of the information was not allowed to be released without the permission of the juvenile court. So in October, the DA’s office filed petitions on all 27 gang injunction defendants with juvenile records, along with briefs substantiating their position.

The two sides are now awaiting hearings in juvenile court regarding the 27 defendants. (Three of the people named in the injunction do not have juvenile records, so no petition was made in those cases.)

The DA will be back in juvenile court on February 26 and March 19, where they hope the judge will make a determination on whether individual hearings need to be held, Carrozzo told Sterne Monday morning.

The city initially requested a temporary injunction while the permanent injunction made its way through the court proceedings, but the judge decided that since much of the evidence would be the same they should move forward toward a trial on the permanent injunction. The juvenile court issue, however, has bogged things down.

Comments

Independent Discussion Guidelines

Shouldn't the city disclose to the public just how much all this is gonna cost us? Do they have something to hide on what has been spent to date?

Those 27 new court hearings described in this article will consume a HUGE amount of city attorney and staff time that otherwise would be devoted to fixing actual crime that is already going on and being neglected. Zoning enforcements, signage violations, blighted properties, dormant ordinances, and more are going nowhere now for two years because of this fiscal black hole with very dubious benefits chasing down 30 still-undetermined gangsters, most of which do not even reside here any more.

Here lies the next article for the Indy's legal reporter Chris Meagher.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 29, 2013 at 9:02 a.m. (Suggest removal)

According to a PRA, the police departement has statemated they have spent nearly $450,000 from June 2009 to June 2012 on the gang injunction. The city attorney spent so far $50,000. Other PRAs were submitted to other departments but they denied to give any information.

killuminati (anonymous profile)
January 29, 2013 at 9:46 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This injunction is not about gangs, but of gentrification. The real price to be paid will be in the negative effects in the entire inner parts of the city (Westside, Eastside, Lower Westside) in regards to property values. Expect your property to fall in value during the injunction period and insurance rates to go high due to the liability factor. At some point this so-called "gang injunction" will be eliminated after millions have been made from the present property owners that may sell and millions made on the new buyers after prices have been brought back up. Don't get fooled Santa Barbara, THIS IS A SCAM ON A GRAND SCALE.

aavtonio (anonymous profile)
January 29, 2013 at 10:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes, killuminati, that is the $$ amount up through last June, but what is the total $$ up to now and after all these court hearings described in this news article?

Easily a million dollars, no doubt.
Will the Indy investigate and report that?
Will the city council start being the fiscal conservatives some of them pretend to be and think hard about costs and benefits for all that public money spent on so few gangsters, most of whom are in prison already?

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2013 at 8:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)