Hannah-Beth Jackson Blasts Oscar Host

Takes Issue with Seth MacFarlane’s ‘We Saw Your Boobs’ Song

Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Comments

State Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson blistered Oscar awards host Seth MacFarlane for striking “a new low in the treatment of women” in a letter she co-signed as vice chair of the Legislative Women’s Caucus to Hawk Koch, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

McFarlane’s monologue and commentary at the Oscar awards ceremony have been the subject of much comment and controversy, especially his song, “We Saw Your Boobs.” Jackson charged that MacFarlane “crossed the line from humor to misogyny,” because one of the actresses named in the song had her breasts exposed in the context of a rape scene.

Jackson took the Motion Picture Academy to task for allowing MacFarlane to subject “our finest female actresses to caricatures and stereotypes, degrading women as a whole and the film making industry itself.”

Comments

Tax Jackson needs to grow up and put down the pipe. It's Hollywood for heaven's sake. Affleck won an Oscar.

montecitotex (anonymous profile)
February 26, 2013 at 3:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You morons voter for her.

RealityCheck22 (anonymous profile)
February 26, 2013 at 4:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Would it have been better if Ellen Degeneres sang the song instead?
People and especially politricians need to stop thinking the Oscars are about them. It's about the artists being recognized. Don't like the show or the host or "the boring awards"? Don't tune in.
I fine pandering, be it to the moral majority crowd or the grumpy pc crowd to be far more degrading to women and the film industry than any silly song Seth MacFarlane could come up with.

Politicians, stay out of our shows unless invited. Then follow the script and exit on cue.

I could not be more disappointed with the issues Ms. Jackson has decided to focus on. MacFarlane saw "boobs" in movies, we see them in our state legislature.

February 26, 2013 at 5:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Shouldn't the state senator use her time and effort on serious issues confronting our state instead of this drivel?

rereyeps (anonymous profile)
February 26, 2013 at 5:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

A veiled call for censorship is still censorship.

February 26, 2013 at 5:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

“our finest female actresses", because the male actresses don't show their boobs.

February 26, 2013 at 5:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

If you want to get involved in entertainment industry issues Se. Jackson, how about a word on behalf of the visual effects artists:

February 26, 2013 at 5:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I am an unabashed feminist, but this is impossible to defend, and is a tone-deaf PR stumble in today's political climate.

Rather more incredulous to me is that the Pres. of the AMPAS is named Hawk Koch. (I really need to find out how how his nom de phlem is pronounced.)

binky (anonymous profile)
February 26, 2013 at 6:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hawk Koch's father was the great screenwriter Howard Koch, for whom he was named (Howard Koch Jr.). Wishing to differentiate his work from his father's- Koch went with a nickname (HWK or Howard W. Koch).

February 26, 2013 at 7:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I normally don't side with HBJ in part because of her hyper-feminism but I totally agree with her on this one.

Seth MacFarlane is a very talented comic/voice actor but nonethess is a pig who hates women, and as one who has watched a number of his "Family Guy" cartoons, the theme of disrespecting women is what I found an overridding turnoff.

While Jackson brings up another good point about the rape scene, the whole issue needs to be addressed. What I mean by that is that while MacFarlane's song was unacceptable and I join Jackson in her complaint, it doesn't help that so many actresses give the Seth MacFarlane's of the world fuel for their fire by using their bodies the way they do and hiding behing the "art" label.

Much blame to go around here.

February 26, 2013 at 7:40 p.m. (Suggest removal)

When BC and HBJ agree you know climate change has hit hell.

February 26, 2013 at 9:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Damn right.

February 27, 2013 at 1:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You still can't deny there's more boobs in government than on movie screens. :P

February 27, 2013 at 2:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

At least this confirms that she is a complete moron. Case closed.
And with regards to BC-I'll give you time to gently recant that opinion and quietly acquiesce back to reality since I know that is where you normally reside.

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 6:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Big deal, Hannah! Someday I hope you can be secure with your womanhood so that jokes like this don't bother you so much.
Sincerely,
A woman

lilypants (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 7:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I wonder if the Jackson woman got similarly riled when the very next day on "Chelsea Lately," a bunch of Chelsea Handler regulars did a parody song directed at men, called "They Showed Us Their Junk."

RexOfSB (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 7:06 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It was a tacky and tasteless bit, as were most of Seth's jokes. A gay men's choir signing about catching a glimpse of women's boobs.... now that's funny. the Oscars are better read about than watched.

ojaiconcertseries (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 7:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

his jokes were sexist, tasteless, rude.....and on several occasions macfarlane crossed the line.......all in all, it was right up my alley....and thoroughly enjoyable.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 8:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I am sure HBJ was equally enraged when Bill Clinton was abusing female underlings in the Oval Office...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 8:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Lets see HBJ does not like,

1st Amendment of the Constitution
2nd Amendment of the Constitution

and her buddy Barry

4th Amendment of the Constitution

Lets just have Anarchy?

I dislike and find unsavory many of the Rights inferred by the 1st Amendment but thats ok, I wish to live in a Free Society - suck it up HBJ.

The Utopian Nanny Staters sure hate the Bill of Rights, why is that - oh it blocks their Utopian Agenda.

I didn't watch so I was not offended, its all about choice HBJ and the OFF button on your TV.

howgreenwasmyvalley (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 9:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)

So HBJ has an issue with a parody on a TV show that presents awards to the most liberal entertainers in the world who push the envelope everyday! WTH am I missing here? HBJ pushes the envelope everyday she attempts to rewrite history in Sacramento! What's the difference??? I'd rather see real boobs than the boobs in Sac......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 9:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

MacFarlane is a douche of the first order whose puerile humor is geared, fittingly enough, to 14 year old boys. I can't stand him, but there are lots of people watching "Family Guy," it seems.

That being said, surely HBJ has better things to do than try to assert her quasi-feminist bona fides by weighing in on this. Whom is she trying to impress?

However, I'd still pay to see her debate MacFarlane on this in one of those "Point-Counterpoint" type things that 60 Minutes ran decades ago.
Better yet would be their doing it like the parody that SNL ran of the same on its own "Weekend Update."

zappa (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 9:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

We appreciate Sen. Jackson's speaking up for women (and many other important things like the environment and education). We agree that Seth MacFarlane's jokes were pretty lame and hope he is not the host next year. But we are grateful to have a Senator in Sacramento who is on top of so many things and can get important legislation passed that protects our rights and our beautiful coastline. HBJ is articulate, smart and effective!!! So glad you represent us.

Shira (anonymous profile)
February 27, 2013 at 10:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm not recanting on my agreeing with HBJ on this issue, but does her feminism go to the next step where she is also willing to address the fact that women are also part of the problem?

February 27, 2013 at 3:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm entering this as a separate post since I realize my use of the word "boobs" might result in the comment being deleted, but for what it's worth, I'm only using the word in this context: If women show their "boobs" in a sexual context--and Hollywood actresses do that in abundance, is it any surprise men act like boobs?

Again: We *all* are in this together.

February 27, 2013 at 3:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The omissions of Ann Rutherford, Ben Gazzara, Phyllis Diller, Andy Griffith, Gore Vidal and few others from the memorium was far more offensive than anything MacFarlane did.

February 27, 2013 at 3:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Announcing "I am offended" is basically telling the world that you can't control your own emotions, so everyone else should do it for you."

- Colin Hoag

March 1, 2013 at 11:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

May we expect a letter of condemnation of CNN for their reporters championing the rapists of Steubenville?

March 20, 2013 at 12:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)