A Peek at Some of the Latest Books by S.B. Authors
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Santa Barbara may be known for its lovely beaches and perfect weather, but it is also a bastion for writerly types, who, despite the idyllic setting — or because of it — manage to produce an impressive number and array of books. In this issue, the Independent offers a peek at some of the tomes coming out of our fair city.
• Moonlight Sonata at the Mayo Clinic — S.B. author Nora Gallagher’s new book tells a story of a mystery illness and loss of faith.
• Kid Authors — Gina Shapiro, 11, and Rhea Kommerell, 10, have written, self-published, and sold several novels.
• The World in the Curl — Peter Westwick and Peter Neushul offer an exhilarating trip through surfing’s history, from tourist attraction to multibillion-dollar lifestyle industry.
• Trash Can Days — Teddy Steinkellner’s audacious teen novel presents 7th grade uncut and proud of it.
• Digital Days — Former S.B. poet laureate Perie Longo releases an e-book of poems for kids.
• Slow Is Fast — Dan Malloy, Kanoa Zimmerman, and Kellen Keene travel 700 miles by bicycle capturing the details in a book.
• Between the Pages — A list of some recent books by Santa Barbara authors.