Megan Diaz Alley

Paul Wellman

Megan Diaz Alley

Megan Diaz Alley Running for City Council

Eastside Renter and Bicycle Commuter Kicks Off Campaign on Tuesday

Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Comments

Megan Diaz Alley launched her campaign for Santa Barbara City Council on Tuesday evening at Shoreline Park.

An Eastside renter and bike commuter, Diaz Alley emphasized the importance of efficient transportation, safe neighborhoods, local businesses, and a sustainable environment. With experience on the Parks and Recreation Commission, Diaz Alley also said she plans to reinstate youth programs that were cut during the recession.

Supervisor Janet Wolf, city councilmembers Cathy Murillo and Grant House, fellow candidate and former councilmember Gregg Hart, former councilmember Roger Horton, County Sheriff candidate Sandra Rose, representatives from the Women’s Political Committee, and several community members gathered to support the 34-year-old candidate.

Outgoing councilmember House told the crowd of more than 100 that nothing would make him more proud than for Diaz Alley to fill his seat. “She really has something that distinguishes her from all of the candidates,” he said. House also noted Diaz Alley will encourage young people and others who may have stayed home to head to the polls on November 5.

Comments

I hope these voters go to their mailbox to send in their ballots on Nov. 5, and then to any "poll" to drop off their ballots on Nov. 12.

While election "day" really is 28 days long, the Second Tuesday in November is the 12th.

That was a great crowd there in Shoreline Park, considering a whole lot of interested voters also were at Goleta City Council that night or had to work etc.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 11:26 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Normally someone who moves here from out of state and has only lived here for 5 years would not be considered qualified for the job, especially at her age. With the Demo Party machine behind her, who knows although that did no good in the last election i.e.. Schwartz and Falcone et al.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 2:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

While I may or may not support her politics, her age has nothing to do with her ability to perform the job she seeks, and if she is living here, and involved with the community, then she has has much right to serve as anyone else.

August 21, 2013 at 2:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And there goes the Indy doing their normal spin for their adored candidates...

windows (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 6:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The Indy would be more credible and without Bias if instead they did spin for old rich guys who own property in the Riviera.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 7:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Rent control, high rise housing, public employee union pandering, nanny state politics, I just can't wait!

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 10:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I was there and it didn't look like 100 people to me. I wish her luck but I don't see her succeeding this year.

LC (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 10:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Alley emphasized the importance of efficient transportation, safe neighborhoods, local businesses, and a sustainable environment."

And she is also for motherhood and apple pie. Most of these candidates will say anything to get elected. In other words, how can I discuss the issues without saying anything meaningful and/or offending anyone. I give her an "A" for political pandering. She is well on her way to becoming a sycophantic politician, modeling the people who are endorsing her.

lousegal (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 10:57 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I depend on the Independent for a lot of my city news. I'm disappointed and concerned because I was working out at Shoreline Park during Mrs.Alley's event, and I saw maybe 25 people there at most. Honestly, there probably wasn't 100 people in that whole section of the park! The vast discrepancy between what I witnessed and what you're reporting is slightly disturbing.

loveSB33 (anonymous profile)
August 21, 2013 at 11:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Alley deserves our study, and unlike Lou I support her affirmations about efficient transportation [save the crosstown shuttle!!], local businesses, and safe neighborhoods.

August 22, 2013 at 7:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

My 3 gas guzzling vehicles have less than half of the carbon footprint than her 3 dogs.

She can start her quest for a sustainable environment right there.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 8:01 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hopefully going forward the Indy will provide a equal forum for all candidates who file to run for local elections, and not repeat the travesty of selective inclusion of the last election.

LizW (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 9:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Interesting comment by Botany, although the study may be flawed since most pet foods are made from by-products or waste from other processes producing food for humans.

discoboy (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 10:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Am pretty sure that Megan Diaz will focus on local housing and transportation long before the carbon footprint of dogs. Just a hunch.

Nice try, though.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 12:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

That's the point. She'll work on decreasing everyone else's carbon footprint while maintaining her own very high carbon footprint. Fashion-plate environmentalism at it's best.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 12:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dr Dan, trust me, I have nothing against local businesses, safe neighborhoods, or efficient transportation. My problem is that it is very easy for a politician to support these things without really meaning it. The devil is in the details. Most politicians are expert at running their mouths without saying anything of substance. I am sure everyone on the city council is for safe neighborhoods and local businesses, but when you analyze their votes it becomes apparent that (for the majority) their actions contradict their stated intentions.

lousegal (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 3:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So correct, lousegal, which is exactly why we need to replace Grant House with Megan Diaz and replace Frank Hotchkiss with Gregg Hart.

You're welcome.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 5:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

She can start her quest for a sustainable environment right there.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 8:01 a.m.

Botany: Should we "euthanize" all the dogs?

August 22, 2013 at 5:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No, but we start by taxing breeders and owners, just as we tax gasoline. Just as I pay the price for driving a vehicle that gets 14 miles per gallon, dog owners can pay the price for the deleterious effect to the environment of their pets.

No one can argue that if people owned fewer dogs as pets, there would be less of them and less of a negative effect on the environment.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 5:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Actually, I really don't want to increase taxes on anybody as much as I want to make a point. People like Ms. Diaz claim we should live in a more environmentally sound way, I try to force people either through taxes or legislation to fit into their political model of environmentally sound living. They do this while maintaining a lifestyle of her own with an incredibly high carbon footprint.

This isn't real environmentalism. This is just showpiece environmentalism to pander to certain elements within her party. If she REALLY wants to live the lifestyle she wants to impose on everyone else, she should lead by example.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 22, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Upon reading your first post I thought, "is he/she kidding" but I'm glad to see it was sarcasm.

You may want to know that thanks to the mandatory spay/neuter laws and the PETA agenda responsible (NOT puppy mill) breeders and people who show dogs are leaving California in droves, and the money those shows generate are leaving California as well.

August 22, 2013 at 11:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Botany, that article is VERY suspect and I'm not gonna buy their book just to check their facts. Beside the obvious comment that discoboy made, they appear to compare the lifetime consumption of a dog to the construction and operation of a car for a year. Uh-oh.

Also note the comparison to human impacts of CO2. Looks like the real solution is to nuke Africa.

Finally, if all you have to whine about is Diaz' dogs, then I'm already leaning in her direction.

SezMe (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 2:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"And there goes the Indy doing their normal spin for their adored candidates..."
-- windows

I don't see it. Quote the spin.

SezMe (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 2:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 6:13 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@Botany: "That's OK Sez, I wasn't expecting you to be in the Hotchkiss camp no matter what the actual facts are anyway."

A couple of facts for you - that study claims that a driver averages 6,200 miles per year, when the national average is over 12k. And they do not claim that the dogs themselves have a greater carbon foot print, but rather, the energy required to *feed* a dog creates that carbon footprint. In other words, it's the corporations that manufacturer the food that have the large carbon foot print, not the actual dogs. (Environmental regulation anyone? No? Okay then...)

The study also didn't take into account the emissions of either the SUV or the dogs. Additionally, the study also assumes that the average dog consumes twice as much as the average person. So... yeah, it's pretty much B.S - a useless study designed to create some buzz and sell a few books.

EatTheRich (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 7:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Even environmental groups concede of the relatively large carbon footprint of pets. And contrary to Eat's uninformed comment, there's no way around it unless you eliminate meat from your pet's diet.

I don't own any dogs. Is it right for a politician to force me to reduce my carbon footprint while maintaining a very large footprint of her own?

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 8:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@Botany: "And contrary to Eat's uninformed comment, there's no way around it unless you eliminate meat from your pet's diet. "

I don't think it's so much that I am 'uninformed', it's that you really haven't read the links you are posting and they do not claim what you say they claim.

@Botany: "Is it right for a politician to force me to reduce my carbon footprint while maintaining a very large footprint of her own?"

It's pretty brilliant - this notion of taking something as selfless and compassionate as adopting another living creature and turning it into something awful. And yet, it is just another example of the sociopathy that plagues the conservatives in this town (and in this country). One can only imagine your outage if Diaz had adopted children instead.

But hey - since you are so against people owning pets, please feel free to see how far a pet dog and pet cat citywide euthanasia program gets you in the next election. Your candidates are going to lose anyway, so why not go for broke?

EatTheRich (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 10:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Who said anything about euthanasia? I think most people resent being told that they have to reduce their carbon footprint by someone with a much higher carbon footprint than their own. Including me.

And oh yes. The moderate candidates of Hotchkiss and Wiscomb will win because most of Santa Barbara resents the social engineering, high density and public employee union pandering agenda of the far left candidates like Diaz Alley.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 10:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

No we need to replace Frank with the horse that supposly bucked him..

Byrd (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 10:59 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Sorry, redefining that "moderate" dog don't hunt, carbon footprint or not.

Neither does the stale rhetoric that advocating for bicycling as a transportation choice means that public policy is a vast Left Wing Conspiracy. 2007 called and it wants its distractionary fake debates back.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 12:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

OK. I didn't want to jump in, but some people keep pets so that they don't have to have children. Can someone do the carbon footprint analysis on that? Election season. Again.

BongHit (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 2:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

" I think most people resent being told that they have to reduce their carbon footprint by someone with a much higher carbon footprint than their own. Including me."
-- Botany

I'm wondering where you got the data on Diaz' footprint, much less your own. I call hot air.

"The moderate candidates of Hotchkiss ..."
-- Botany

Thanks. At least I filled my quota for laughs per day.

SezMe (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 6:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Diaz is the self-proclaimed owner of 3 dogs. I own none. Yet, she would tell me to take public transportation or ride bicycles despite her much larger carbon footprint.

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 7:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Botz, only you and JL could subscribe to "The moderate candidates of Hotchkiss and Wiscomb" ha ha ha!
can we quit measuring the carbon footprint proportion by dogs? canine twaddle, I say, sir.

August 23, 2013 at 8:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Canine-American" please. All you folks keep worrying about dog emissions but when the sea levels rise guess whose gonna take over?!

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 9:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

DD, We can gladly stop measuring the carbon footprint of pets. Can we stop measuring the carbon footprint of my vehicles while we're at it?

Botany (anonymous profile)
August 23, 2013 at 9:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Jagwar Ma