Man Tased After Acting Suspiciously Near Own Car

Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Comments

Santa Barbara police arrested — and attempted to tase — a 54-year-old man whom they thought was acting suspiciously near what turned out to be his own car. The incident took place on upper De la Vina Street Monday morning as an officer on a coffee break spied Jerry Cox peering into the windows of a car across the street as if casing it for a burglary. When confronted by officers, Cox reportedly refused to stop and to sit down — as instructed — and attempted to walk by. Efforts to tase Cox failed, said public information officer Sgt. Harwood, so he was wrestled to the ground by numerous officers. At no time prior to the use of force, Harwood said, did Cox notify officers that the car in question was his. Cox was charged with resisting arrest.

Comments

Really? He never once said, "Stop zapping me, it's my car!"? Either this is utter bull or the guy was a little cuckoo to begin with.

sacjon (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 3:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I wonder if he was on meds. Did Cox look suspicious otherwise? Who doesn't run out real fast and look into their car occasionally, to see if they left an item on the seat for example?

April 24, 2013 at 3:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Need more facts to know whether or not to be concerned about this police incident. What were the suspicious acts? Is there a law against peering into car windows on a public street?

Once again, a citizen does not comply with an officers request and an incident ensued. Based on the minimal identified circumstances, would it have been better for the officer to continue watching this "suspect" and hopefully observe him commit a crime before they initiated any contact?

whatsinsb (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 4 p.m. (Suggest removal)

54yo, residential, tells me legally prescribed meds are involved. I am very concerned to hear about elderly people being treated in this way.

April 24, 2013 at 4:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

54 years old tells you nothing about elderly people; but it tells us a lot about you.

foofighter (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 4:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Since when is an honest citizen doing nothing illegal required to obey without question any order from a policeman? This is a travesty. Take the damn Tasers away from the cops - the have demonstrated repeatedly that they are not responsible enough to use them properly.

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 6:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Headline: "Man Tased After Acting Suspiciously Near Own Car"

Story: "Santa Barbara police arrested — and attempted to tase —"

Contradictory statements.

April 24, 2013 at 6:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Can I tase people who are acting suspicious too?

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
April 24, 2013 at 7:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Only DrDan. Feel free to tase him every time he wants to suspiciously take OTHER peoples money for his pet projects. Please go easy on him and only use as much energy as is absolutely necessary so he does not completely crumple.

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 6:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

yes, that's called taxation, and we've had it a long time; you need to direct your ire at the government, urgs. After 625 posts since 2007, I won't be crumpling soon, I actually think you're fading. But I like your spirit, stallion, so you can direct all the metaphoric tasing at me you want, since you need a scapegoat because you have no actual argument. Oh yes, you have one, it's please don't tax me. Like your hate of Prop 30. Get ready for more taxes, too.
Public education funding is my main point in most posts, and that hardly counts as a pet project. Oh yes, your offspring attend a Catholic private school so you really hate school taxes...pretty obvious.

April 25, 2013 at 11:41 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"At no time prior to the use of force, Harwood said, did Cox notify officers that the car in question was his."

I suppose the question is ... prior to the use of force, was Cox ever asked if the car was his?

April 25, 2013 at 12:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

yes, was it Cox's duty to assert that first?

April 25, 2013 at 1:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Disgusting. These "peace officers" should be arrested, jailed, tried and sent to prison for assault, battery, abuse of power, to name just a few.

Sad thing is this is just a tiny sampling of the rampant abuse inflicted by "peace officers" in conjunction with their lawyers (DA's). I have a relative in the D.A.s office. Get a few drinks in him and you should hear the stories of abuse and lawlessness by law enforcement et al. You would never want to venture near a "friendly" police officer again..

Like foo-fighter, I too question why being 54 somehow implicates the use of medication by the victim as indicated by the poster above. I'd question what substances the attackers were under the influence of besides coffee and donuts.

The statement that he "never told them it was his car" is insultingly ludicrous. Officers write false police reports and obstruct justice all the time.

BTW - this post is protected by the 1st amendment to whomever is monitoring it.

sbdownunder (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 1:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Paranoia much sbdownunder? It's reasonable to assume someone is on meds at 54, you and Foo can both get off your high donkeys.

April 25, 2013 at 3:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Anyone wondering WHY SBPD is repeatedly shown to over-react? MAYBE it has something to do with POOR leadership. MAYBE it has something to do with BAD training. MAYBE it won't stop until something REALLY BAD happens, SOMETHING REALLY AWFUL, like the death of a truely helpless and innocent person. I SURE HOPE I AM WRONG.

DarrylGenis (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 4:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Aren't cops trained in self-defense? If so, it seems two or maybe three cops could subdue someone without having to tazer/beat them senseless.

April 25, 2013 at 6:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

foo lives on a high donkey, KV!
I agree, JL, about why a 54 yr old, meds or no, standing by his own car has to "obey" a cop?? Yeah, I worry about statism, too, as well as the stallion who wants me tasered...I'm a lot older than 65, but no meds,...yet!
I've posted this for years: can Cam!

April 25, 2013 at 6:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Actually Ken my relative at the DA's office TOLD ME the police and court monitors all of these boards (edhat, craigslist, etc).

I could say more about it and people who have been contacted by these entities due to innocent postings which simply state facts about those referred to above but I don't want to jeopordize their privacy.

So nope - not paranoia - but thank you for teaching me how to spell "paranoia."

sbdownunder (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 7:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Darryl - Your concern is exactly what I was sitting and thinking about before I returned to read the current comments. Officers have been involved in too many incidents that have placed themselves and citizens of our city in jeopardy. As far as I know not one officer has been held accountable. Or have they?

Sooner or later, unfortunately, the odds are going to catch up and either an officer or a citizen could be injured in a significant way, or worse. Like you, I hope I am wrong.

While I agree with your thinking I believe the first part of the problem is with the hiring process. Is the department hiring the best qualified candidates? Are thorough background checks being conducted of each applicant by investigators that know what they are doing?

Once hired, based on the recent incidents, it would appear proper training is lacking. Why do similar negative incidents continue to occur if these officers are continually and properly trained? Regarding the Cox incident. I'm told it may have been better for the officer to report their observations, move additional personnel into the area and wait to see if a crime was in fact committed. But, maybe the officer didn't have the time or there weren't additional personnel available at that time.

Once we get past the hiring and training concerns I wonder if we have experienced and seasoned personnel in supervisory positions? Or, are there too many police supervisors in positions for which they are not qualified? If the supervisors didn't really know how to perform well on the street and elsewhere before they are promoted, how are they going to be able to lead officers for whom they are responsible?

whatsinsb (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 7:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Whether they monitor these boards or not, it's a free country and guidelines are observed. In fact there's been a time or two in which I hoped someone WAS monitoring. These boards are public, why shouldn't people in the legal and justice professions also have access and feel free to participate as well, hopefully under their own names.
With the attitude "they are monitoring" better use a pseudonym no one need take away the First Amendment, you've surrendered it!
Say what you will, at least Genis takes the time to directly communicate with the community whether you like what he has to say or not.

April 25, 2013 at 7:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow Ken - I didn't know you cared. That was an amazingly quick response. Didn't make a whole lot of sense but I think your intellect simply exceeds mine. I defer to your brilliant analysis.

Have fun posting. Gotta run - places to go and people to see. I certainly have better things to do than argue with you and I wish the same for you. But hey -- its your right to free speech. Keep up the good work you seem to post here quite a bit.

Sorry for trying to educate the seemingly naive.

Abuse of power and violation of the law by those who have vowed to uphold it just irks me.

sbdownunder (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 7:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What I'm saying is by living in fear you surrender. Pretty simple.

April 25, 2013 at 8:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Geez DD, you presume that the fact that I paid far more than most folks towards education means I resent it. I don't and was just fine with spending 10's of thousands extra per year in addition to my taxes towards public education which I did not utilize. Money has not solved the problem and yet that is your only solution and then you wonder why some of us question you.
As you also know, I've donated tons of money to underprivileged kids and sponsored the tuition for many children whose parents cared enough to send them to our local Catholic High School. I believe in educating kids, not sponsoring unsustainable public pensions and supporting unions that refuse to actually care about the kids.

But, its still pretty brutal how they tased this poor dude...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
April 25, 2013 at 9:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Once again Darryl Genis, the Anti-Genius, shows his true afFINity. Obey commands from law enforcement, comply with reasonable requests, stop acting irrationally, clear the situation.

Or do what Moron Jerry did and get Tased and arrested.

If only he were demonstrably DRUNK then your next client would await you, Darryyll.

Draxor (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 9:11 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Who was the cop? Anyone we know?

hughzer (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 1:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I know they monitor these boards because when my friend Ross Stiles a homeless man was murdered years ago and I wrote about it my real name poped up all over the place hinting that I was his killer. Just because someone runs a city and is in charge doesn't mean they are not wacked in their brain like the rest of us. I'm 54 and on prescription medication does that make me a dirt bag drug addict in the eyes of a racist that calls himself a doctor I guess so..

Byrd (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 3:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's a public forum is my point, people's gossip notwithstanding (and you have to admit, A LOT of creative reading goes on here.)

April 26, 2013 at 3:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Our little slice of paradise is the most corrupt, sick, dysfunctional political mess seen outside of The City of Commerce...and the same thing should happen to the idiots running this place: indictment, trial, conviction, prison. Cam Sanchez is a sick joke; his department holds a storm-trooper mentality. The DA's office holds sway over all, simply because they control who gets charged and who doesn't. They own the judges because the judges need political support come time to re-apply for their jobs. The circumstances here are patently clear, and the press manages to avoid a very germane element of this man's arrest: he's BLACK. Being black and on the streets in SB is probably cause for police contact in this burg, and anyone who doesn't believe it only needs to take a look at the percentages of minorities hassled by the police for every conceivable infraction, from "open container" to "public nuisance" (sleeping in Chase Palm Park). Okay, setting the blatant racism of law enforcement in SB aside, let's consider the embarrassing favoritism shown to elected officials or celebrities of any stripe: Koa Misi nearly kills a guy by punching him in the face after breaking into the guy's apartment, and he gets community service as a sentence because he's an NFL All-Star while others who get in fights get several years in state prison; Ilya Falcone drives drunk and gets what? NOTHING. Judge Ochoa's woefuly amateurish news-reader spouse is reported missing, thousands of dollars in public funds are expended looking for her, and she shows up half in the bag in a local bar at the end of the day, and it's called "a medical condition"...and she doesn't get the bill from the county; the taxpayers get it. The police/sheriffs shoot people on a monthly basis, Beutel and Tudor have their little game, and Dudley's investigations somewhat always come up with "justified use of force".
It's enough to make you puke.
Mr. Genis is correct in one respect, and wrong in another: something surely tragic will eventually happen (of course, if it happens to a black or transient, it won't be that big of a deal...just look at the unexplained deaths that take place in the local jail); but nothing at all will be done about it other than, in an extreme case, a hand-wringing press conference with Sanchez standing beside her in his pretty blue uniform with all the spangly crap on it. Dudley will simply do what she does: perform the usual CYA.

Beachgirl77 (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 3:50 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You got balls Beachgirl...

Byrd (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 4:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Indeed the establishment is corrupt.

April 26, 2013 at 4:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

We need to make police brutality in this town an issue in the upcoming City Council elections. And I sure hope that Jerry Cox sues the SBPD.

blackpoodles (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2013 at 10:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

An article posted 4-26 at 11:33PM on the KEYT website indicates a private citizen will file a complaint with the PD against the officer involved. Is it permissible to file a complaint with the County Grand Jury to initiate an investigation into the Cox incident?

The KEYT article states, in part, "the officer was on a break when she saw what she thought was Cox trying to break into a car." As I recall initial reports indicated Cox was "peering" into a car. Did she see any force being applied against the car? What exactly did the officer observe that led her to believe Cox was " - trying to break into a car?" Did the officer observe damage to the car when contacting Cox or see any tools in his possession (she was threatened by) or in the area that would lead her to believe he was trying to gain access to a car?

After the officer contacted Cox; when he did not comply with her orders, did she advise him that he was under arrest? Or, after Cox did not comply with her orders did she use the taser and then advise him of his arrest? Cox reportedly walks away from the officer and refused to cooperate. How can this officer, in any way, justify use of a taser against this person? It would be interesting to learn how much time elapsed between the initial contact with Cox and the use of the taser.

Quoting from the KEYT article: "It''s (sp) important for both darts to hit the target to complete the electrical circuit for the device to work. So if only one hit Mr. Cox, it would have been impossible for him to feel the effects of the taser," explained Sgt. Riley Harwood, of the Santa Barbara Police Department.

Is the department issuing defective equipment to its officers? Or, was their too much distance between the officer and Cox for both darts to deploy and strike accurately?

The concern is not so much the equipment may have been defective. The concern is WHY the officer believed this was her only way to resolve this situation? Did Cox do something more than simply walk away (if he did) to warrant being shot by a taser?

whatsinsb (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2013 at 8:14 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If SBPD had better leadership, better hiring policies and better training, and better use of force guidelines these things would not happen. Until they hire better people and give them better training, these things will continue with disturbing regularity.

DarrylGenis (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2013 at 9:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The fish always stinks from the head, and "dead tuna" Cam Sanchez OWNS this travesty. Let's all please find him the job out of town he's been looking for!
PSYCHO COPS have no place in SB, nor do those who support them.
Election Day means something!
Darryl Genis for D.A.!

Beachgirl77 (anonymous profile)
May 1, 2013 at 3:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The Dirty Knobs