Doing the Opposite

Tuesday, November 6, 2012
Comments

Just want to thank you, the Santa Barbara Independent, for helping me decide who to vote for this year and in each election cycle. Although I’m positive about which way you will swing, I still look forward to see what you have to say. Because looking at your paper’s endorsements makes my job of voting that much easier. You see, whichever candidates or propositions The Independent endorses, yes or no votes, all I have to do is vote the opposite. Yep, that’s right. It’s quite a formidable community service you do for me, and I really do appreciate it. I mean who else can I depend on to be so consistent? As my father use to say when he would deliver products out to Isla Vista (in the 1960s and ‘70s), whenever he would see a political sign on a telephone pole or whatever, he would know who not to vote for. Thanks, dad, for the lesson in life. And again, thank you Independent for helping me out with this year’s voting decisions. I’m definitely voting a straight Republican ticket. Oops, is it okay to say straight?

Comments

i just wasted 90 seconds reading this and commenting about it. Yikes, get a life lady...

sbsurfguy (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 8:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Christine: I do the same thing. Vote opposite what the Independent recommends. The Independent is such a FAR left publication. They are no where near being balanced.

BeckyBee (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 9:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

gosh, what a thoughtful piece and how well-reasoned...just vote the opposite of a publication. I generally read the propositions, study the candidates, put in some time...

November 6, 2012 at 9:42 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This has to be the dumbest way to vote and the woman deserves to be ridiculed. Being a contrarian doesn't mean you have a valid opinion, it just means you're a big baby.\

November 6, 2012 at 10:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Okay, I have to admit that I sometimes use the Montecito Journal for a similar purpose, if only to double-check myself on some of the props.

zappa (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 10:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Its good to read an alternate opinion, and hopefully it's based on reasoning and logic and facts other than just plain kneejerk faux Conservatism.

November 6, 2012 at 10:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)

BTW Ms. Lord, did you know there was an error in the print edition of the endorsements? Allah works in mysterious ways.

November 6, 2012 at 10:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The Indy was the only local publication not to endorse Dale Francisco for city council. They give him no credit for all the hard work he does and endorse the left's candidates straight down the line without exception.

Botany (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 11:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

reading stupid articles is reassurance i'm still above average.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 1:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

One year The Independent endorsed Brooks Firestone. How does Ms. Lord's argument apply in that case?

November 6, 2012 at 1:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This letter is evidence for the argument against democracy. We can only hope the good Lord votes.

hodgmo (anonymous profile)
November 6, 2012 at 1:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ken's right, Ms. Lord, since the Independent erroneously said YES on 38 [but no in the online ed. and then later print ed.] you voted NO...good thinking there, ya know?

November 6, 2012 at 2:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's the kind of letter that leads the civic minded regardless of party affiliation to drink.

November 6, 2012 at 2:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It truly is scary that people vote on such "party line" lines. Each issue must be analyzed, as each candidate.

November 6, 2012 at 3:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Actually, without an iota of sarcasm, THANK YOU S.B. INDEPENDENT! I, for one, tremendously appreciate your well thought out explanations of your endorsements. I find the fine print on the propositions to be very dense and open to misinterpretation (on purpose?) and the literature I receive from the "pro" and "con" factions compelling. I turn to your fine paper and several other trusted sources to help me make sense of it all!

On a somewhat related note, I was irked to see a very right leaning paper filling up your SB Independent racks in the cafe at Lazy Acres a week or so before the election. Their endorsements were all opposite to yours. I found it quite ballsy of them to use your racks. I hope they didn't take it upon themselves to relieve the racks of your publication so they could place their rag on YOUR racks.

elaz (anonymous profile)
November 13, 2012 at 12:32 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What was the name of the paper you cite Elaz?

November 13, 2012 at 3:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Vaud and the Villains