Homeless Man Found Dead on Library Lawn

Heavy Alcohol Use’ Believed to Be a Factor

Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Comments

The body of Brian Olgeirson, 39, was found Saturday afternoon on the Santa Barbara Central Library’s lawn on East Anapamu Street after a witness called police about an unresponsive man.

According to authorities, Olgeirson was known to be an area homeless man. After being notified that Olgeirson had gotten into a fistfight with an acquaintance three days prior to his body being found, officers spoke to that man and took down his version of the altercation, but no foul play is suspected in Olgeirson’s death, police said.

Witnesses reported seeing Olgeirson walking around earlier on Saturday morning and the previous evening. Although “heavy alcohol use” is believed to be a factor in Olgeirson’s death, police say the exact cause of death has yet to be determined.

Comments

Alcohol...great stuff. Not.

Holly (anonymous profile)
July 25, 2012 at 1:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Abuse of alcohol is the problem, not the alcohol itself.

With that said, I find it very sad to see another person, homeless or otherwise, not realize and/or acknowledge they need help - thus, like this unfortunate fellow, their lives literally unravel and they eventually succumb to their addictions.

MotoBella (anonymous profile)
July 25, 2012 at 8:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You might be saddened, but most people in town could really care less.
It's always... "We pay taxes! We want more cops! Let them handle the problem their way...."
So year after year those with the problems that lead to their demise are never properly handled. It's always, get drunk, go to jail,go through the costly court system, receive a petty sentence like community service... (repeat process)

BBOY (anonymous profile)
July 25, 2012 at 12:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

i went to jr high and high school with brian. he was a very sweet and kind individual, one of the nicest guys i've ever met. i don't know what happened in his life that he went down this road, but this is unbelievably sad. i'm terribly sorry for his family. i'm sure there was alot of suffering in his life, and that his suffering is done i'm glad. i just wish it would have been different for him. rip brian

annon (anonymous profile)
July 26, 2012 at 9:26 a.m. (Suggest removal)

He will be missed terribly. He is loved by so many, and he has touched so many lives. He will always be the love of my life...

JennaHansen (anonymous profile)
July 26, 2012 at 10:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Brian was a Son, Brother and Father. He was loved and will be missed by all of his family. Whoever thinks that this young man was a throw away person they can think again. Unfortunately he lost his way in Life and just couldn't get it together again. I hope you people stop with the mean comments. His Mother and Father might be reading this and will be devastaed at the stupid remarks that I am reading. Sincerely his Cousin from North Dakota.

Marlys (anonymous profile)
July 26, 2012 at 9:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Brian was my daughter's boyfriend at one time. He helped her kick a terrible addiction but could not fight the demons that controlled him. We are so sorry to hear about his death. He was a wonderful chef and seemed to be liked by many people. All of us wish with all our hearts that we could have helped him. We only can hope that you have found peace, Brian.

LindaH (anonymous profile)
July 28, 2012 at 2:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

For all of you that think this was a good thing there's many choice words I'd like to say to you. I am Brian's only child and I have had to suffer the loss of my father. He was a wonderful man and it was a terrible loss. Screw you all for being so unkind to my family and myself with your words. Think of how you would feel if this was your parent or child being trash talked in such a way for all the online world to see.

LexiO (anonymous profile)
December 29, 2012 at 2:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dear commentators identifying themselves as Olgeirson family members,

I'm very sorry for you loss. I don't think any of the commentators here think it was a good thing at all. There's nothing but dismay and sadness expressed. In fact a few of them have been active in trying to help people escape the fate of Brian. I see no "trash talk" or anything meant disrespectfully.
Ignoring the truth of his circumstances may have even led to his death, let's not let others die from our willful blindness.

December 29, 2012 at 2:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Why does The Independent recycle stories from many months earlier--such as the case here?

December 29, 2012 at 4:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"billclausen," to answer your question, this story was published once, July 24, 2012.

webadmin (webadmin)
December 29, 2012 at 4:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Bull**it. His "circumstances" were well known. My family and myself helped for years but that doesn't mean we couldn't stop it. I feel the first few comments on here were just to say how glad they were to see an "unworthy life" leave this world. If that's not true I beg someone to say otherwise. I'd like to see someone else know how they've suffered from a passing like this. My father did his best, even if it wasn't his best. I'm ashamed, saddened, and full of remorse. A death of a father nearly kills a heart.

LexiO (anonymous profile)
December 29, 2012 at 10:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It truly is horrible Lexi, and I certainly am sorry if you felt I was blaming you or anyone in your family. I meant society as a whole.

December 29, 2012 at 11:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)