Obamacare Plus

We Need More Health Care Reform

Thursday, July 12, 2012
Comments

Missing in the polling regarding support for Obamacare is the distinction between people who oppose it because they think it goes too far, and those opposed because it didn’t go nearly far enough.

Obamacare is based on a Republican plan that Republicans are now turning their backs on because it got passed by Democrats. Huge concessions were made to conservatives in its drafting, but yielded not one Republican vote for it.

Progressives and many others want real reform, with a comprehensive benefit package and graduated tax financing to replace all out of pocket spending and eliminate the ever-inflating for-profit private insurer premiums.

A single-payer expanded and enriched Medicare for all would save more than enough money in administrative costs and negotiated pricing — not price-fixing but good, old-fashioned competition) — to pay for subsiding lower income groups, eliminating co-pays, and improving health quality without raising the cost for all but the wealthiest.

Many businesses, although perhaps not telegraphing support, would also like a single-payer system, relieving them of the headache of health benefit management and making it easier to use part-time workers.

I disagree with those conservatives and Tea Party activists whose opposition is based on the “yoyo” principal — you’re on your own — and single-minded hatred of everything Obama does.

Obamacare is flawed but should not be repealed. If it is too expensive, that is because it tinkers around the edges of the real problem: our for-profit health non-system.

Keep Obamacare. Vote out obstructionists. Pass single-payer.

Comments

Nice letter.

July 13, 2012 at 11 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hear hear!

tegrat (anonymous profile)
July 13, 2012 at 1:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Low to middle income workers are having to to contribute 10-20% of their income to ObamaCare's forced insurance plan.

That's not good.

Georgy (anonymous profile)
July 14, 2012 at 12:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Archived public hearings on Obamacare depopulation agenda:

14noscams (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 12:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So if I don't believe in western healthcare and think it causes more sickness than improves health, am I still going to be forced to pay for everybody else's health care that I believe is actually damaging?

I mean, ya, I'd have no problem purchasing health care that was for emergencies such as a broken leg or traumatic injury, but why do I have to give thousands a year to big pharma and the medical industrial complex or else face fines which could lead to violent armed thugs coming to my house and kidnapping me?

Why does health care have to be based on slavery and violence? Since when is slavery and violence = 'human rights'?

This is just more doublespeak being used to control the population and enrich the few who own the Medical Industrial Complex.

If this is 'Progressiveness' then it is Progressively fascist.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 1:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

God LoonPoint, how do you get any work done? Does your employer know you spend all day posting tripe online?

July 3, 2014 at 3:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I type really fast, it doesn't take long for me to get my thoughts out.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 4:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Also a lot of my longer posts are copy/paste (with links)

My employer is very satisfied with my work, thanks for asking.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 4:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"I type really fast, it doesn't take long for me to get my thoughts out."

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

I'll bet it took you less than one minute to type that.

July 3, 2014 at 4:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

At about 80 WPM I'd say more like 8 seconds.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 5:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow, they let you post comments while you are working the grill at Jack on the Box. Impressive.

Herschel_Greenspan (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 5:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You can make your point that Obamacare is highly flawed on all levels. But one thing you can not do is call it a Republican plan, or even similar to something erroneously labeled Romney care.

Stick to fixing it or dumping it. You want single-payer, so tell us how single payer can morph out of Obamacare and how you will have sufficient health care workers who will continue working under a single payer plan.

Most importantly how will single-payer avoid the inefficiencies and incompetencies now revealed in the VA. Should single-payer mimic what is now found within the active US military delivery of health care where there is far greater control over the individual patient?

JarvisJarvis (anonymous profile)
July 3, 2014 at 11:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)