Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion

Paws Sawed Off Dead Mountain Lion

Animal Groups Offering Reward for Information on Those Responsible

Thursday, April 26, 2012
Comments

A mountain lion hit and killed as it crossed Highway 101 near Buellton early Tuesday morning was partially dismembered, officials report.

According to the California Highway Patrol, its front paws were sawed off after officers responded to calls of the full-grown dead cat on the shoulder of the road. The officers, hearing that California Department of Fish and Game personnel were four hours away, had dragged the body into nearby brush and left the scene.

CHP spokesperson Danny Maher said that an area news station reported the initial road hazard just after 5 a.m. and guessed that someone who heard the broadcast “figured they would go out to the scene and collect a trophy.”

Fish and Game’s Web site states that the mutilation of a dead specimen of the protected species is illegal, a misdemeanor offense punishable by fines and/or jail time. The Animal Rescue Team and Mountain Lion Foundation are offering a $1,500 reward for information leading to the prosecution of those responsible.

Comments

While I am in no way condoning this person's actions, I do believe this state is absolutely crazy by not allowing the hunting of mountain lions. They're everywhere, they're not endangered, they're a threat to public and livestock safety, and there was never a reason to ban them from being hunted in the first place.

Muggy (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2012 at 3:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

This act is so disgusting; the perpetrator(s) must be mentally defective. Barbaric.

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
April 26, 2012 at 6:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So What...it wasn't like they sawed them off while it was still alive.

This is just another example of made up crimes....is it not enough that this evil country we live in has more people incarcerated than any other country on earth......partly because of these ludicrous laws that will put someone in jail for the smallest offense.

They really should have skinned it.....a shame for that great pelt to go unused.

rstein9 (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 7:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Barbaric? Aren't animals skinned and dismembered every day of the year? It's called the BUTCHER....lets put them all in jail.

rstein9 (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 7:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Rstein9 - "evil country we live in"..umm are you kidding me? What's so evil about having god given rights other countries don't recognize? In this "evil" country, we have the right to defend ourselves against tyranny or foreign invasion, the right to speak whatever we want to speak, the right to a speedy trial and to be judged by our peers and not the government, the right to due process...we should all be thankful we are lucky enough to be a citizen of this amazing country.

Agree with the other comments...did you all eat some sort of meat last night? Hmm wonder where that came from? The fairy brought you meat and no animal was killed? Oh ok.

Muggy (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 8:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I heard they're calling for arrest now! Well...I hope they don't find them because it seems absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary to me. They're offering up $1500 from somewhere...and then to do what? Arrest some people and throw away the paws? Do you ever have that feeling where you feel like you must be missing some part of the story, because for the life of you you can't come around even an inch to thinking along the same lines? I mean, the mountain lion is DEAD. The lucky-foot-bandits didn't kill the mountain lion...they just sorta harvested a mini trophy from an already dead animal. Maybe they plan on making a mountain lion foot necklace or something. ;) Was the state/county/whatever planning on stuffing this critter or something? Are mountain lions protected? Is there a black market for mountain lion paws? What am I missing???? If I came upon a dead eagle you can sure as hell bet that I'm gonna pluck a feather. Isn't that the same thing? It doesn't feel wrong to me. I might even keep the whole thing...pluck the feathers...bleach out the bones...lots of treasures! As for the mountain lion...I'd be more interested in the pelt and skull! Ha! Except (don't worry!)...you wouldn't see me out there trying to saw anything off of it...I'm too fragile and soft to deal with that much gore! I would never hack it as a hunter! If we went back to hunter/gatherer days I'd definitely be a gatherer.

By the way, I was cracking up at your comment John Locke. No disrespect to your view, but I couldn't reconcile your name and view! I watched some LOST and I think that the John Locke character would've probably been the first to saw off some mountain lion paws to wear around his neck!

Gaijin (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 10:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Mutilating the corpse of a protected animal is hardly the same as butchering meat raised for consumption. Yes, barbaric, not to mention illegal. Are you against protection of endangered species?

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 10:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Free to bomb anyone we want in any foreign country.

rstein9 (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 10:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I had to look up whether or not mountain lions are considered endangered and here's what I found on the CA Department of Fish and Game:

Are mountains lions listed as a threatened or endangered species?
Mountain lions are not threatened nor endangered in California. In fact, the lion population is relatively high in California and their numbers appear to be stable. Mountain lions are legally classified as "specially protected species". This has nothing to do with their relative abundance and does not imply that they are rare.

So it looks like, protected yes, endangered no. But I would assume "protected" would apply to a live animal.

The critter wasn't purposefully killed. I suppose I have a different perspective towards the dead...just an empty vessel. If our plane went down in the Andes, and I died and you were starving, I'm totally fine with you eating my body. ;) I don't think I'd care any longer!

Gaijin (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 11:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

From the California Fish and Game website:

Why can't mountain lions be hunted in California?

With the passage of Proposition 117 in 1990, mountain lions became a "specially protected species," making mountain lion hunting illegal in California. This status and other statutes prohibit the Department of Fish and Game from recommending a hunting season for lions, and it is illegal to take, injure, possess, transport, import, or sell any mountain lion or part of a mountain lion

Animal Specimen Salvage Issues

No one, even a holder of a Scientific Collecting Permit (SCP), can pick up road kills, native bird feathers, or collect owl pellets or other animal parts without a SCP authorizating the salvage of dead amphibians, reptiles, birds, and/or mammals

Although Fish and Game Code section 2000.5(a) states the accidental taking of game by a motor vehicle is not a violation of the law, it does not authorize the possession of animals taken by a collision with a vehicle. You may wonder why this is the case since it seems like it would be a waste of a deer to not be able to place a tag on it and perhaps save another from being taken. The reason is that some poachers would use the “collision” excuse to take deer at night with their vehicle and just attach their tag to justify the action."

Poaching, especially of large carnivores, is on the increase due to the value of their body parts - especially overseas since it is believed that the consumption of certain organs enhances sexual performance. Claws are also used in the jewelry trade. The first reports I saw indicated that the animal's genitals had been removed.

pierhead (anonymous profile)
April 27, 2012 at 12:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

US Govt ought to make high-profile entreaties to China's govt to undertake a public relations campaign against Chinese traditional medicine's use of rare animal parts for psychosomatic erections, etc. (Meat is meat is meat, except for gall bladders.) But who's paying White House to do that? No one... or is anyone? Are US conservation organisations too pinko to attempt it? (Hey, just asking.)

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
April 28, 2012 at 2:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The reason why we can't hung mountain lions in California is because there was a vote to the people, the people who have no clue about why it's important we have licensed hunters hunt animals and have tags so only a specific number can be killed. There is NO logical reason why this should be banned. People think they're cute so they don't want them hunted, hence why the law was passed. Ridiculous and people who think the animal should continue to be protected are idiots.

Muggy (anonymous profile)
May 4, 2012 at 1:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)